Premium Waters odd pontil

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
I think that the pontil on this bottle is an iron pontil, but it sure looks weird to me.
sc pontil collector

F1CB70BAB5394BF38CF91E881021A424.jpg

Attachments

• F1CB70BAB5394BF38CF91E881021A424.jpg
    F1CB70BAB5394BF38CF91E881021A424.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 161

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
Here is the bottle.
sc pontil collector

07E9BA39EFC547D8B1814BB3BB951D90.jpg

Attachments

• 07E9BA39EFC547D8B1814BB3BB951D90.jpg
    07E9BA39EFC547D8B1814BB3BB951D90.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 173

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
Tigue710,
Do you think it is a sticky ball pontil. This came from a family member who isn't with us anymore and he didn't know what to make of it either.
sc pontil collector

RED Matthews

Reaction score
This is to ask both Tigue710 and SC pontil collector; The questions of punty rod empontilled marks has been in my studies for a Blog of Coverage for at least eight or ten years. I have read a lot of books and looked at a lot of pictures of pontil marks here on the FORUM. Sometimes I think I am ready to put out my material and then some one comes along with something different.like sticky ball pontil. I have studied many actual punty rods and realize that they were shaped to the push-up and often had a centering ball tip on the end of the push-up; to help the bottlemakers assistant get the punty placed in the center of the bottles bottom diameter. I have studied the materials used to give different pontil marks different appearance. These have been graphite paste, red lead paste and white lead paste. The punty rods that were coated with these lubricants were then dipped in mold iron powder to create one type of pontil mark.
They were some times dipped in glass particles and dust that was placed on the hot bottles base. And in many cases these lubricant punties were dipped in sand for the sticking agent. Some heated punty rods were even dipped in the molten glass crucible to pick up hot metal for the contact. The historic writings that I have read seldom answer all the questions. I have talked with instructors at the Corning Museum and several of their staff, but I have not found enough answers to put this blog all together. Any suggestions or advise is always welcome. RED Matthews

tigue710

Reaction score
Red, a sticky ball pontil is a collectors term used to describe the process you explained where a pinty rod was dipped in glass shards or sand to adhere to the base of the bottle. There's a lot of gray though as to how it was done exactly. There is also a solid iron pontil that was not used with paste or the disc pontil. Not a lot is known about these techneics although there are some slight variations in the mark left.

Sc, it's hard to determine from the picture but after taking a closer look I don't see any fragments of glass inside the ring of fragments, which you find with a sticky ball pontil. I also don't see the typical push up seen with graphite pontils which sometimes leave some frags of glass around the edge I'm sure your familiar with... I've seen tumbled bottle with the graphite cleaned off and just the ring left, but this one looks different... Ther was an early method of empontiling used in the states I've only seen on early large bottles that is similar to a solid iron bar pontil and the sticky ball type pontil but just leaves the ring on the outside edge exactly as you have here. It's usually refered to as a sticky ball pontil but in researching it i found it was made with a slightly different technique. I haven't quite figured it out and a few experts I've talked to have over looked it previously since the difference is very slight. That said no I don't think it is a sticky ball pontil, but it does look to be one of the pontil marks that is refered to as a sticky ball pontil...

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
Thank you Red and Tigue for researching the pontil on this bottle. It has always seemd odd to say the least.
I talked with my sister, her husband dug the bottle years ago. She remembers that it was at the bottom of a 8ft privy along with some broken o/p meds. Also came out an iron pontil Premium Waters taper top soda fully intact along with more I/Ps and smooth base bottles.
She still has the I/P Premium Waters.
All the bottles were tumbled.
I am glad that this forum was added because this bottle is going to an auction house pretty soon.
Thanks again,
sc pontil collector

epackage

Reaction score
SCPC can you take a pic of this more head on with the flash on, I can't really tell exactly what I'm seeing in the first pic....Jim

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
Hi Jim,
Here is a picture taken directly at the pontil.
scpc

9C47799177F2488E9EE79D9DA1C07F76.jpg

Attachments

• 9C47799177F2488E9EE79D9DA1C07F76.jpg
    9C47799177F2488E9EE79D9DA1C07F76.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 169

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member