Hood's book

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Here's the back cover of the Hood's Sarsparilla book

Us54186.jpg

Attachments

• Us54186.jpg
    Us54186.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 152

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Brian good catch! I've had this for over a year and never took notice of that signature. lol It says 'Lenna E. Skillings, fancy old-time writing. Here's a testimonial from inside, this stuff 'cured' everything from blindness to pimples! lol

Bz78702.jpg

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
LOL Even cures all skin diseases ! That's good stuff !!!! I find reading like this in your old Hood's book to be very interesting and quite humorous !!!!!
Yeah , that signature looks to have been made with a quill pen .
Thanks Norm for sharing this great book with us , Brian

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Nice go-with, Norm! It seems to be in very good condition, too.

I don't know what the state of the art is these days for conserving this acidic paper. Formerly, there wasn't much you could do to prevent the paper from yellowing and crumbling.

The process may have something to do with humidity (even normal humidity). If it were my booklet, I would keep it sealed in a zippered freezer bag with a packet of silica gel (the desiccant you find with new shoes or electronics).

Or, maybe someone has a different idea.

-----------Harry Pristis

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Harry, the book is in very good condition, it's more of a pamphlet, 7''x8'' with 16 pages. It's incredible what they claimed regarding cures. Until I picked this up I was unaware that Sarsaparilla was a cure. I do keep it in a acid-free sleeve. I purchased it from a 86 year-old man at a local flea market who specializes in 'paper'. I also bought a small book of handwritten tax records from 1837 for the construction of a 'road'. We talked about marbles the other night, check this one out that I found. Nearly 2'' in diameter! (Actually, it's an agate shift knob)

Fd92780.jpg

Attachments

• Fd92780.jpg
    Fd92780.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 156

IRISH

Reaction score
Nice book [:D] , The Acid free plastic or paper is a good idea but if you use Silica gel be carefull as too dry is also not good for old paper (although it's better than too much moisture).

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi