Altered insulators

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
Aquameds is correct in that there aren't a lot of counterfeiters in our collecting world right now.
My main access right now for insulators is online and I have seen an increase of altered insulators being offered for sale.
Some are very well done. I almost bought a beautiful one, but I asked the seller if it had been altered and they were honest and told me that it had been.
SPCPC

BillinMo

Reaction score
Joe's already posted some of the best info on altered colors. If you look around on eBay you'll also see some painted with glazes that you'd find in a craft store. I haven't seen it recently, but some have ground and polished insulators to remove drip points, hide damage, create an odd-looking shape, etc.

Lots of photos here, too:

http://www.insulators.info/pictures/?op=list&folder=19&sort=date&start=51

Personally, if someone is not really familiar with insulators, I'd recommend attending insulator shows. Get to know the insulator people in your area who can help answer questions. Buy from reputable insulator dealers and collectors. I don't think it's very wise to spend big bucks on eBay without knowing who you're dealing with.

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
Thanks for the list, simply amazes me.
Looking at the list and pictures, it would be easy to buy an altered one.
Most of my insulators were given to me when my brother passed away. He knew them well and bought them at shows and from friends.
I went to the national show this past summer in San Jose ,Ca and made some connections with some good sellers.
Your advice is well taken and thank you for your post.
SCPC

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp