Altered insulators

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
I want to bring up the subject of altered insulators.
I have seen on ebay some sellers that have altered their insulators. Some sellers are open about that they have altered them, while others you have to look hard at the description to find words like altered, repro, painted, etc.
How do you feel about people altering insulators?
Personally, I don't like altered insulators because even if the original seller is open about altering the insulator, what about when it it is sold the next time?
sc pontil collector

carobran

Reaction score
it seems like i saw a post here a while back where someone had melted one where it was almost flat.................but i dont guess thats what your talking about,cause if you cant spot that kind of alteration somethings wrong[&:][;)][8D]

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
I've seen them paint them with some really fancy paint that makes them look special. Irradiating them can change an aqua insulator in a color that is totally fake, but may look good.
Most sellers don't do this, but I have seen reputable sellers say that they never sell altered insulators in their descriptors a lot. So I am guessing with what I've seen and read, it must happen enough.
Also, when I started looking at insulators I couldn't tell an an altered one from a real one. Now, I can but many may be fooled by this practice.
SCPC

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Altered colors would definately be a concern with insulators where color variations are so important.
I wouldnt think experienced collectors are going to be easily taken in by repros or dyed glass. Treatments like UV and radiation are a bit harder to deal with. I dont know what other tricks people are playing.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
[align=center]

012_thumb.jpg

ARTIFICIALLY INDUCED COLORS
by Dwayne Anthony, NIA # 3619
075_thumb.jpg
[/align]
Introduction: [/b]

Forgeries, fakes and physical alterations appear to be an escalating concern for nearly all categories of collectibles and antiquities. The esteemed hobby of insulator collecting is, unfortunately, no exception. Of particular concern is the recent escalation of color-altered insulators appearing primarily at flea markets, antique shops, antique/collectible shows and public Internet auctions. The alterations discussed here are not by external application of paint, stains or dyes. They are a more technical modification to the internal ingredients of the glass itself.

There are two sources known for intentionally altering the integral color of glass insulators: thermal and radiation. Both can create color changes from very subtle to extremely radical. Thermal alterations, as the term implies, are achieved by use of extreme heat. Alterations performed by use of radiation sources are much more complex and include high levels of gamma rays and electron beams. When any form of the word “altered†is used in this report, it applies only to alterations produced by radiation and/or thermal exposure.

The National Insulator Association provides funding for an ongoing research and experimental program involving the altering of certain targeted insulator specimens. Whenever possible, damaged specimens are used. The results of these experiments are documented and select specimens become part of a traveling exhibit that is shipped to insulator shows across the country for educational purposes, complete with free handout copies of this report. Most of the information in this report is based on the outcome of these research experiments. Please be aware that our research is ongoing and may be updated at any time, especially any information presented below that is currently deemed inconclusive.

Here's the link to the rest of the story... http://www.nia.org/altered/index.htm

coreya

Reaction score
I feel the same for insulators as I do for jars when it comes to artificially altering the normal color of the glass without permanently marking the item as altered and that is its fraud and should be treated as such. A little strong perhaps but you know that somewhere down the sales food chain someone is going to be taken. Just my opinion

SC pontil collector

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this subject.
Great information for anyone who isn't aware of what some greedy sellers are doing.
Again, thank you,
SCPC

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Fortunately bottle collecting is one hobby that has been relatively unaffected by the greed of conterfeiters.
Compared to hobbies like cast iron toys, civil war relics, guns, coins, sports, etc etc, bottles have remained generally pretty safe.
Mold blown 19th century bottles are a hard nut for fakers to crack.
Hope it will stay that way for a while.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora