COSTAR POISON discussion......

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

OmegaFirefly

Reaction score
To all poison collectors !!

Please go to the following threads in case you haven't already been involved in what appears to be a COSTAR poison. There are two photos you can look at. Since this is a POISON group, I thought you might be interested in all the participants who were answering my call for help to identify a bottle I have. Please feel free to add to the discussion.
Thanks,
Dave the Digger

Thread: Anybody know what this is?
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-461848/mpage-1/key-/tm.htm#461853

Thread: Need ID on an ink....COSTAR on bottom.
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-461841/mpage-1/key-/tm.htm#461855

Poison_Us

Reaction score
Well, here is my thoughts. Many bottles had poison in them, but the bottle themselves had no distinguishing characteristics that said Poison to anyone. If it wasn't for the label, nobody would know.

Now for the other side of the coin.

If COSTAR made nothing but bug and vermin poisons (can anyone verify this?), then with the embossing on the base, this would be classified as a poison as it would not have contained anything else (Kind of like most bug and rat poisons). But we have to be sure the COSTAR did not make anything else...and an ad picturing this bottle would help along with one with a label.

The closest thing to this that I can find is a KC-18. Its "Farmers Rat Paste". Has the same shape, 2" tall and all the embossing is on the base. Has a rat and the words above.

So the possibility is there, we just have to be sure the COSTAR did not make or market anything other than bug and rat poisons and it's good.

Poison_Us

Reaction score
Did a google of past ABN discussions and PUPMAN seemed to be quite the expert on bug and rat poisons... I havn't seen a post from him lately, but being someone who specializes in particular lines, would be a great resource. This came from one of Ryan's digz in '07

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-97836/mpage-26/tm.htm

I will call Jerry tonight to see what his take is since he has collected most poisons for way longer than we have. He is always a wealth of knowledge. This bottle is not listed in our books, but maybe it should be.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Poison_Us

If COSTAR made nothing but bug and vermin poisons (can anyone verify this?), then with the embossing on the base, this would be classified as a poison as it would not have contained anything else (Kind of like most bug and rat poisons).  But we have to be sure the COSTAR did not make anything else...and an ad picturing this bottle would help along with one with a label.
https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-461841/mpage-1/key-/tm.htm#461855

epackage

Reaction score
One of his mailing envelopes...

18707F43D1F34E0B9556C1BC7AA94690.jpg

Attachments

• 18707F43D1F34E0B9556C1BC7AA94690.jpg
    18707F43D1F34E0B9556C1BC7AA94690.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 88

OmegaFirefly

Reaction score
Ok, will wait to hear from you or PUPMAN. In case you need the photo of the bottle, here it is again.

BC6465F6BA66448BB1F9655985B316B9.jpg

Attachments

• BC6465F6BA66448BB1F9655985B316B9.jpg
    BC6465F6BA66448BB1F9655985B316B9.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 78

Poison_Us

Reaction score
Thanks, Jim.. I did read both threads as linked at the beginning here, but it doesnt tell me if they made anything else but this. That's my question, if they made stomach tablets or anything but bug and rat poison that this bottle would have contained. Just have to eliminate all question of what came in the bottle. But so far, nobody has come forward with anything like an add for this other that what has come forward....so the jury is still out.

epackage

Reaction score
Oh Ok, it would seem odd to me that a man whose company advertises on the side of rats would also have another product that wasn't some sort of poison or pesticide but I guess it's possible...

andy volkerts

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Poison_Us

Thanks, Jim..  I did read both threads as linked at the beginning here, but it doesnt tell me if they made anything else but this.  That's my question, if they made stomach tablets or anything but bug and rat poison that this bottle would have contained.  Just have to eliminate all question of what came in the bottle. But so far, nobody has come forward with anything like an add for this other that what has come forward....so the jury is still out.
[&:][8D] What seems odder to me than any other point is this, Why would you put poison into a bottle without bumps points lines stars or all the other embossed signals that told a person in dim (candle) LITE that it was a poison, I thought that was the idea , the reason for alla points stars lines and bumps onna poison bottles??????

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: andy volkerts

[&:][8D] What seems odder to me than any other point is this, Why would you put poison into a bottle without bumps points lines stars or all the other embossed signals that told a person in dim (candle) LITE that it was a poison, I thought that was the idea , the reason for alla points stars lines and bumps onna poison bottles??????
Lyons Powder wasn't covered in bumps either Andy....Jim

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu