"Unlisted" rare new addition to my Peoria collection

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
One of my sub-collections is products and ephemera from the "Mexican Amole Soap Co." of Peoria, which operated from 1892 to 1916.

Here is an image of the bottles and a soap box (with a series 1898 tax stamp on it) that I have:

300626_10100929505021300_1937295_67075103_922753716_n.jpg

So I was browsing through eBay, searching tiitles and descriptions for "mexican amole" and came across a nondescript listing for this:

Lot (7) Small Vintage Assorted Bottles/Jar

Well in that lot was a gem of a bottle which I had never heard of, nor seen a shard of, and in fact I think it may be the only embossed Milk Glass Peoria bottle out there, though you really never know.

305848_10100958112995690_1937295_67345680_1794208401_n.jpg

It is a 4 ounce cream jar with the original aluminum lid, and there is no damage to the bottle. The embossing is in a slug plate, but i have never seen this style of jar before, have any of you? It is ABM, but the base is totally smooth. I would guess that it was made right around 1910, when the business changed hands and started being more aggressive at promoting its products. I bought it from a lovely woman in Texas, and one of the bottles in the previous image came from Arizona, so the company must have enjoyed quite the export trade.

Probably the first and last Peoria milk glass bottle I'll ever find. Pretty cool in my book.

[/align][/align][/align]

glass man

Reaction score
Super cool Stephen!Always great to find any thing to add to a collection!What do you mean though about has anybody seen this type of jar though? Sure you don't mean a milkglass jar...but any way I picked up about 25 or more milk jar containers at the local bottle dump left behind maybe ten years ago,they were in the age of 1915-1930s...no didn't see one exactly in the shape of yours but they varied..I only picked up ones that were different then the others..no duplicates in other words...ANY WAY GLAD FOR YOU!!!JAMIE

KBbottles

Reaction score
Awesome ebay score!! Gotta love when you find the little gems like that from sellers that really don't know much of what they have. It is definitely in the right hands now! Congrats.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Thanks Jamie, yeah i was wondering if anyone had seen this style mold before (with the slug plate and fluted/petaled base). It is probably earlier than most cream jars since the company stopped operating in 1916, though i don't quite know why.

And yeah Ken, who knows if this is the tip of the iceberg and there are 2 oz, 8 oz, etc varieties out there. It would be awesome to find them if they exist, though getting them with the original lid would be just as unlikely as finding the jars themselves. I'd kill to get a 16 ouncer, that would look so sweet. [:)]

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Nice add! There is only one milk glass bottle from RI, so finding an unlisted one from your city is quite the accomplishment. Now all you need is a 32oz. one [:D]

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Stephen,

Good to see you in these parts. How have you been fairing?

Your epic first dig post had some Mexican Amole bottles.
Here is one of a little under 10 Mexican Amole Soap Co. Peoria ILL bottles that I dug, and before I got any I was told that they were decently rare and I should watch out for em. Probably not as rare now, lol. I like the shape and embossing on these guys.
From https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m-143586/mpage-1/key-Mexican%2CAmole%2CSoap%2CCo./tm.htm]

I'm admiring that Milk Glass Amole. Never have seen that particular form on a jar. It does have a "modern" TOC look about it. Pristine condition to boot.

So is your spade getting rusty, or have you been throwin some dirt?

BOB%20BOXCAR%20SHOVEL%20HEAD%20(OP)%20JULY%2031,%2006%20008.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis