Red Cross the bottom photo

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LuvDigginInIt

Reaction score
Any ideas yet? LOL last one...

Fd90770.jpg

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Kala, Its a Red Cross med bottle. The 3iv is just the bottle size identifier. It would have been handed out during some type of natural or man made disaster. Where I am from it would have been for yellow fever or some other plague as the warm seasons here are quite long some years. They would probable be more common in Europe where hospitals were set up near battle fields during WW1.

They are not supposed to be worth much because even the oldest were lable bottles, with a few exceptions.
I have been digging for nearly 40 years and I have only seen 3 or 4 others, so I would hang onto it.

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi Warren,

Do you have any info on this RED CROSS bottle? It's 3 3/4 in. tall appears BIM, I would guess it was made around 1900 and appears to be a medicine from shape. Thanks.

Cliff

Tr49071.jpg

madman

Reaction score
hey cap im thinking pharmacy? hey cliff that is a sweet bottle!! the bottles ive found have it embossed on the base, ive found only 3, there was a typhoid outbreak here in the teens so it could also have been from the red cross mike

Yw67584.jpg

madman

Reaction score
the bottles, also find alot of pharms with blue ribbon embossed on the bottom any info mike

Ge94096.jpg

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Cliff, I was just talking to my wife about that perticular product.

Mikes and Kala's bottles are from the now defunked World Organization of the Red Cross. Now days there is no world organization just the independent national organizations like our American Red Cross.

Yours is a dye bottle. Don't know why they made them look like medicine bottles. There was a small store in my dads home town in northwest Florida that carried Red Cross Dye in little ACL medicine like bottles with what we called a German cross. One of my brothers and I wanted one of those bottles and persisted untill we got our fannys tore up with my dads belt. Later on the lady who owned the store gave use one when we went back to get sodas. After we got home the next day my brother and I got into an argument over whos dresser the bottle would be keeped in and the bottle got droped on the terazo floor and broke. You can guess the results of that.

I don't know where it was manufactured but I have a better idea of how long ago they started and an addition to my story for my grand son who loves Paw Paw's stories

Thanks Cliff for bringing back some fond memories of an easer time.

LuvDigginInIt

Reaction score
Thanks so much for all your help!! You all have me so excited about my find. I guess I will be spending the rest of the day researching. Thanks again! Kala

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi Warren,

Very interesting bit of info about the Red Cross Dye Company. Especially the German Cross embossing. Everything in print about the Red Cross World Organization and otherwise shows a simple square cross. Using logic and looking over the other bottle pictures with the base embossings I tend to think the other bottles were probably from that dye company as well. The use of very similar Capitol and lower case letters in the Trade Mark on my bottle are almost identical to the base embossed ones and they do not have the simple cross on them. Something to think about. Haven't had any luck finding any info on a Red Cross Dye Company as yet, maybe some one else will. Thanks for the help.

Cliff

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Cliff, The dye bottles don't have the graduant marks or the size identifier. The first Red Cross bottle I dug had me very excited until a friend ID the bottle as a med and not the dye.

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi warren,

Then I gather from what you are saying that probably the Red Cross Dye bottles are less common than the Red Cross medicine bottles. I have seen very few of either in this part of the country. Some interesting info in any case. Thanks again.

Cliff

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp