Is My Codds a Fake?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
Fake? I don't think so.

There were quite a few companies here in the UK that used codd bottles into the late 1940s and the 1950s. The latest date they are believed to have been used is 1964. So I think this one, and very similar bottles embossed with the names of other UK companies, were among the latest codds made and used here in Britain, probably during the 1950s. Which is why they are machine made, and why they are very similar in style to recent codds from India.

Reaction score
do you think so deepbluedigger?im not sure.....i knew they were made and used regularly up until the 20s then quite a few went on a bit longer but ive never seen one like that in the picture[&o]whereabouts in yorkshire are you from?im from featherstone near pontefract[;)]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
The site is
"Fake, Reproduction
& Modern
Codds & Minerals"
Unfortunately, they don't state or even speculate for each one so there's nothing to go on.
I call "modern".

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
Yup, I'm sure coddfather.

Also worth asking: why would anyone go to the trouble and expense of 'faking' these codds? They've been known by collectors since at least the 1970s (and so can't have anything to do with the much more recent problems of fake bottles), when coloured marble codds weren't even rated highly. The expense of production, from mould making to blowing to trickling them onto the market, would probably rule out a profit motive.

I'm in York, but these days mostly dig (not very often) in Lincs.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94