sealed NY whiskey

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

slimdigger

Reaction score
Picked up this one today at the dump. Sealed whiskey embossed T.H.& CO., 341 Walnut St. ,Philada. . Any info?

Bz78873.jpg

Attachments

• Bz78873.jpg
    Bz78873.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 65

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Was that seal applied or part of the mold? The applied ones I have seen were never that perfect. Usually you see a bit of excess glass around the edges.

slimdigger

Reaction score
It is definitely an applied seal and not part of the mold. I have dug other 1870's smooth base applied seal bottles in the past that were exactly like this one. I have also dug many of the Paul Jones Whiskeys ( molded seals ) and I know the difference.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
yep , that looks applied. Couldnt tell from the frontal view.
I looked in my refs, couldnt find anything on it. Seems to be from a pretty historic section of Philada.
An applied seal makes it more desirable but also may make it more obscure too.

slimdigger

Reaction score
I found an identical bottle with a similar seal in Odell's whiskey book. J.T.& Co/341 Walnut St./ Philada. . Same address different company with the same bottle ? Weird!

baltbottles

Reaction score
HI Bruce,

Nice whiskey I'd think it should do $200-$300 at auction. Sealed whiskeys are pretty scarce and this is one I can say i haven't seen before. If it was from baltimore you could double that price.

Chris

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I'm not sure its too odd that there were different seals from the same address.
Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding of seals was that they were sort of the precursors to slug plates. When you wanted a small run of embossed bottles without the expense of making a new mold. If the company was in transition , changing ownership, or whatever they might not want to invest in embossed molds. Thats one reason I said they may be pretty obscur, there may of only been a few ever made.
Just a theory...
i just flew in from NY and am kind of tired so pardon the typos

slimdigger

Reaction score
Matt, Makes sense to me. I know that we have dug many bottles that used the same mold as the predecessor and just changed / blocked out some part of the embossing in the mold. I am not that familiar with seals but it makes since that you could do the same thing. With this bottle only two letters had to change as everything else is the same .

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac