PRIVY DIG HEALTH HAZARD

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

appliedlips

Reaction score
I, like many of privy diggers out there have been one to believe over the years that diseases and viruses found in privy soil would be long gone in older pits. I was wrong, I have now had two friends suffer acutely from Histoplasmosis, contracted directly while digging in privies in the Ohio Valley. One I spoke with recently was hospitalized with near fatal symptoms, another a long time dig partner suffered for more than a year and could hardly breath at times. Anybody working with soil is at risk, but digging in ashy dry privy or dump soil lends itself to infection by easily breathing particles into the lungs. This is a real risk, and both cases were acute and both diggers can tell you which privy they contracted the disease from. I am rethinking my once care free attitudes regarding health risks from digging. Masks will be a part of dig tools from now on. Hate to be a negative nelly but please be aware.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Wow, I looked into it and that is terrifying. It seems that disease is only prevalent in the Ohio Valley area and around the Mississippi, but still, I wonder if it can be found around here. I don't dig with a mask, and I doubt I will, but it's certainly something to think about.

tigue710

Reaction score
thats scary, Ive always wondered if there really was any risk... I would have thought it was the wet privy's that would be questionable. I know there are also a few diseases you can catch just from digging in rich soil, but soap and water deter that kind of stuff...

Have you Been digging Doug?

harold

Reaction score
I remember when the Saugatuck Res. was built two fellows contracted TB from the old graves they had to move. So be careful in privies. Some of the viruses lay dorment for ever.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Both scary stories. It would probably also be wise to get vaccinated for some of these things, especially Tetanus. You can get that just from cutting yourself on glass, new or old. It's not just from burns or rusty objects. I'm not sure what else you can get vaccinated for that applies to privies. Does anyone know?

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Histoplasmosis is a bad thing. My father in law had it and they thought it was lung cancer.
It comes from breathing fungus spores found in the ground. They are found basically everywhere and are concentrated in stuff like bird droppings. The good news is if you have a decent immune system you probably wont be affected by it. They say at least 30% of the population has been exposed but only a small percent show and effects.
A dry dusty privy or dump would be the most dangerous where you are breathing in dust. A dust mask in these conditions seems a reasonable precaution.
Dont forget your tetanus shots too. You have a lot more chance of dying from that than Histo if you arent vacinated.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
what else you can get vaccinated for that applies to privies. Does anyone know?

I am prone to symptoms of acute bottleitous but I have found 2 peices of glass a month keeps it under control.

towhead

Reaction score
Also known as: Ohio River Valley fever

Read about it here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002073/

Bixel

Reaction score
I have been in dusty basements and holes before, and used a mask.

As far as tetanus, I have had 2 updates in the last 6 years. The latest I needed for school last year, the one before that I put a three inch framing nail all the way through my hand. Fun times!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky