U.S.V.A. Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

accountantadam

Reaction score
Looking for some info on this Veterans Administration quart milk bottle I picked up at an auction this past weekend. Did a quick search of the bay, and couldn't find anything. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

8D719F04E7344F64A004F799F4CFBD51.jpg

Attachments

• 8D719F04E7344F64A004F799F4CFBD51.jpg
    8D719F04E7344F64A004F799F4CFBD51.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 141

Wheelah23

Reaction score
You're in luck. I found one of these bottles in January, and was equally stumped about it. Then I emailed Ralph S. Riovo, the guy who runs the milk collectors' website papurplecow.com. He told me this:

"It was used by the US Veterans Association in their hospitals through the 1960's. The bottles were filled by a larger dairy in the area & used exclusively by the VA. Bottles like these were used for a long time by TB Sanitariums, hospitals & other places that had a stigma of communicable diseases. If the public found out that their local dairy was supplying such an institution they might boycott the dairy because of fear of contamination, even though the bottles were sterilized after use.. Therefore they were forced to use bottles that were solely designated & used by the institution. This is not a very rare bottle, but usually sells for $20.00 to $40.00."

I would have to say the value is less than that, more like $10 from what I've seen. I can't say it's a nice looking bottle, in fact it's the durned ugliest ACL I've ever seen! [8D]

accountantadam

Reaction score
Wheelah-Thanks for the info!! I was guessing it had some sort of hospital/institution use. Its definitely a rather plain looking acl. Nothing fancy about it at all. I hadn't seen one before. There was also a half pint local I didn't have yet at the same sale, but I was outbid on that one [:(]

glass man

Reaction score
Cool thread!! There was a T.B."SANITARIUM" in the ROME GA. [not far from where I live]and my parents talked about how all were terrified of the disease...JAMIE

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky