I blame all of you for the winter

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ben

Reaction score
I would like to thank all of you guys for the very long winter I am about to go through up here in northern New York. You see, I used to go bottle hunting sparingly over the years, maybe once or twice a year. Due to a recent mid to late 1800’s small dump find and THIS FORUM [;)], my desire to dig dig dig has become an obsession[;)]. I look forward to digging my first privy next summer but man, it is going to be a long winter[:-].... now enough time on here, I need to go dig before the ground freezes solid...

druggistnut

Reaction score
Ben,
It's a definite illness we have all contracted.
If you get a hole open in the dump, put a pallet over it, with carpet or a tarp covering the hole. Put some dirt over that. You will find that your hole will not freeze and is available to dig, all winter.
Bill

VTdigger

Reaction score
I feel the same, during the winter it's down to going to antique and thrift stores and E-bay, buying bottles and while that's all good there's nothing better than digging them. though I do plan to do alot of research at the museum and library to find spots where old houses and farms used to be and hopefully I get a metal detector for X-Mas than next year I'll be even more unstoppable in my digging.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I can only apologize to you for the FORUM part of your suffering, Ben, which I do, with semi-tempered sentiment. The "bug" is definitely contagious, and nowhere does it exist in a more highly infectious state than right here.. you are contaminated. I am sorry..
Perhaps a long snowed-in winter of cleaning and cataloging will bring you back into balance just in time for tending to bikini line '12..
Otherwise, welcome to ABN and make yourself at home.. [:)]

Bixel

Reaction score
A good piece of plywood will keep your hole from freezing as well. I speak from experience!

If you want a "greener" way, take a couple square bales of straw or hay.

sandchip

Reaction score
Lord, it was in the 70s thru Saturday, and now it's been cloudy and in the 40's this week. Miserable. I don't see how y'all handle shonuff cold weather.

Ben

Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys. I like the idea about how to keep the hole from freezing, except the dump I found (which the actual date I am discovering is more like late 1800’s to early 1900’s I think) Is found along a 150’+ stretch of a 50’ or so tall hillside at a 35-45 degree angle along a river. It is sporadic little honey holes here and there. It keeps producing rare bottles (and by rare I mean, rare to my eyes and knowledge[;)])

Gromit0299

Reaction score
I consider the forum the methadone for the times when you're unable to get a fix. There's always going to be someone out there getting out to dig. We can all sit and drool.

Plumbata

Reaction score
With enough desire, you can keep on digging right through winter!

I don't know how your hillside dump is arranged, but if there are any areas where the layers are 4-5 feet deep or more and comprised largely of ash, then winter digging shouldn't be too difficult.

Although not recommended, I've dug some pretty massive caves (bottle mines [:D]) which were supported by the thickly frozen top 6-12 inches, and careful digging to maintain the integrity of the internal "arch" supports. Dug a chamber a good 12 or 14 feet horizontally into a hill of ash a few years back. It was very cozy, considering the freezing temps outside.

I went out digging the past 2 days, and although the surface was touched by frost it didn't interfere with digging. Once you start to exert yourself you will stay quite warm, perhaps too warm.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1