Got a crack / fracture repair project ! Hxtal

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

George Ingraham

Reaction score
Been a while since have logged in here !

Would like to give Hxtal a whirl in trying to repair some cracks.

My first question of many to come is how to clean these slightly dirty hairline fractures. At least I think it is dirt, unless over time something else is the reason for these cracks looking dirty. Pretty sure if I am not able to get these clean, then this same dirty stains will show up after the Hxtal dries.

This bottle is painted on the inside, so need to be careful as to not get any chemicals directly on the paintings. Since the cracks are not over any painted areas, was thinking about blowing up a balloon inside. Then should take the worry out of getting any kind of chemicals and even fumes directly on the paint.

So, first step.... Can someone suggest a chemical and also, maybe how to best use it for cleaning out these fractures ?

001-29.jpg

002-22.jpg

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
was thinking about blowing up a balloon inside. Then should take the worry out of getting any kind of chemicals and even fumes directly on the paint.

The balloon seems like a great idea,....(just not too much pressure, or you may open the crack much further than anticipated...)[:mad:] not sure on a cleaner,...I'd be tempted to try some "M.E.K." (methyl-eythel-ketone) or the like,...except for the painted surface inside....good luck,..hope it turns out real nice for you.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
the base looks like it was cut and polished. Not typical bottle looking.

denatured alcohol makes a pretty safe cleaning solvent.

George Ingraham

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

the base looks like it was cut and polished. Not typical bottle looking.

Any ideas on how to sort of agitate the cleaner in the cracks so the the stain might be forced on through the cracks ? Having a hard time thinking that just applying or soaking the cracks would get the dirt/stain to move through and come out..

Antiquemeds,

There were a couple of ways they made these stock bottles prior to painting. One is blown glass, and the other is carving the whole thing from an ingot ( glass block ), which is still a common practice today. Pretty sure this one was blown. Especially since there is a stress crack on the bottom of the base of this one just like I have seen on many other aged blown type glass bottles.

crack.jpg

image_of_cracked_starshaped_bottom1.jpg

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Compressed air would force the stuff out of the crack, after soaking with the cleaner of choice, just not sure how much pressure you should use, not too much in any case.........

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
This stress cracks in the bottom seem very odd. It seems like something you would get if the inside was bored with a drill.
They dont look blown to me but its hard to tell without having the item in hand.

To get stain out of cracks I sometimes use a drop of bleach. It doesnt really remove anything but it can take the color out if the stain and make it transparent.
You can also use an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner but its always risky with cracked items.

George Ingraham

Reaction score
Ah.. I like the bleach idea ! I like it so much, that is where I will start. From the inside out so as to keep any off the painted areas. Maybe can position the bottle upside down and suspend the upper part of the cracked bottle directly into some bleach for a few hours (maybe more).

Maybe the bleach will air dry out of the cracks afterwards ? Seems like it could cause quite a reaction to the Hxtal if I don't get it all out.

The ultrasonic sounds interesting too.. Just worried about the painting inside.

Thank you !

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
you should always neutralize a bleached item after you are done since its a powerful base. A mild acid like white vinegar/water shoud do it.

Ultrasonic should probably tested on a low value piece

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis