hand blown art glass.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

VTdigger

Reaction score
I had an idea after looking at pictures of various hand blown art glass of something I'd like to do, but unfortunately I know nothing about how to glassblowing, as in how to go about doing it.
Anyway, I think it would be pretty cool to make one big bottle from shards with embossing from different kinds of bottles. I tired doing a little image search for such a thing and found nothing, I wouldn't be surprised if it exists somewhere, the things artists can do with glass is amazing. ( Just type in hand blown art glass into E-Bay or any search engine to see some of the amazing art.)
Also, if anyone has any hand blown glass art old or new feel free to post some pictures.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I think it would be pretty cool to make one big bottle from shards with embossing from different kinds of bottles

Not sure I understand? You mean glue shards on a large bottle?

KentOhio

Reaction score
I've done some glassblowing. The bottle you're imagining would be something like Frankenstein's monster, wouldn't it? It could be attempted but would most likely crack as it cools, since pieces of glass from different sources will have different rates of expansion as they heat and cool.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
plus I dont see how you could preserve the embossing if the glass is hot enough to melt?

maybe Dale Chihuly could do it[;)]

You could fuse shards onto a large bottle with HXTAL.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Would a blowtorch get the glass hot enough to be "sticky"? Not hot enough to outright melt, just hot enough to get it malleable?

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Would a blowtorch get the glass hot enough to be "sticky"? Not hot enough to outright melt, just hot enough to get it malleable?

matters what type of blowtorch and what type of glass.
for instance borosilicate glass is pretty easy to melt and is pretty forgiving about temperature stress.
Some other glass isnt.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I was thinking a cool project would be to take early embossed bottle fragments, slump them to make them flat, then use them to make a stained glass window (Tiffany copper foil method).
If anyone has any interesting shards for the project I might try it (I only have whole bottles at the moment that wont be sacraficed)

VTdigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

I think it would be pretty cool to make one big bottle from shards with embossing from different kinds of bottles

Not sure I understand? You mean glue shards on a large bottle?

No, I was thinking if there's away to do it by using a glass blowing technique, as I said I've just started learning about how glassblowing works. I was thinking of a bottle made out of bottle shards basically.

P.S. thank you, Antiquemeds for that info on Dale Chihuly, that's some beautiful art he makes I just love glass in general, it all started with digging and I'm sure most glass artists got into there art that way.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

I was thinking a cool project would be to take early embossed bottle fragments, slump them to make them flat, then use them to make a stained glass window (Tiffany copper foil method).
If anyone has any interesting shards for the project I might try it (I only have whole bottles at the moment that wont be sacraficed)

That would be a really great use of shards,...best I've heard yet. Matt, We have quite a few interesting shards.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I have a few not so interesting shards laying around. I will have to see if my wife can slump them in her glass klin without destroying the embossing.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu