Bottle suicide

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I'm not too distressed over this loss. It's the first time a bottle's killed itself to get out of my collection, though... [:D] So what could cause a bottle to do this? I dug it on Sunday, and a couple days ago it randomly decided to crack. Then this morning, when I was sitting in bed, I heard this loud crack, then the rolling sound of something wobbling back and forth. The crack spread, and a couple pieces fell out! For the few days after I dug it, it was perfectly fine. I washed it with regular water, and haven't put it in any extremes of temperature. So weird. Anybody else have any such stories? Hopefully about common bottles like mine... [:eek:]

The bottle was already sitting on its side, I put it like that so that it wouldn't be even close to the lamp... Didn't save it, huh...

4AA7E9331AA4425F9A4577A66CBDB5FE.jpg

Attachments

• 4AA7E9331AA4425F9A4577A66CBDB5FE.jpg
    4AA7E9331AA4425F9A4577A66CBDB5FE.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 72

beendiggin

Reaction score
Bummer . I had one break on me once but I had it next to a drafty window one winter. The holiday season does make some bottles depressed.

Bixel

Reaction score
I have had bottles and insulators crack on me up to a week or two after being dug. Luckily nothing ever too stunning. I think it has to do with certain types of glass having the smallest stress fracture and then it just decides to crack due to stress of some sort.

Not very common that I have had this happen, but it has happened in the past.

Ben

Reaction score
My guess would be that it had a small hair line fracture somewhere in it that could or could not have been visible and due to the rapid change in environment (change of temperature, pressure, humidity) the fracture began to spread… and pop, bottle suicide, its new home was just to much for it to handle[:D]… I had washed a lid once and laid it on a towel and shortly after I went to get it and it was split in half. I had not noticed any cracks prior to washing it or after washing it. Now I am more careful of the temperature changes I subject the glass to.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Poison_Us

Was someone was playing with a weegie board?

Could have been another Mythbusters experiment gone wrong.

I think you may be on to something. I live next to a graveyard... [:eek:]

img7483u.jpg

mr.fred

Reaction score
I've had it happen once or twice[8|]------i live inside a Cemetery -----don't worry about the Dead----it's the people walking around that bare watching[;)].--Fred.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora