Need info on a milk bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
RE: Calling Mr. RED Matthews...

This is what I was looking for.
http://www.sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/Thatcher_BLockhart.pdf
The "S" may be Streator, IL

mattinad

Reaction score

Wow, 1956!?!?!? Cool!

How rare is this bottle and does the defunct dairy enhance or take away from its value?

Although I probably could never sell it, what would it be worth to a collector???

Thank You guys!!!

-Dylan

cowseatmaize

Reaction score

Value would depend on the main factors, supply and demand. The things going for it are the color and condition. There may be interest from locals remembering it from it being delivered or the yearbook thing.
I would keep it for sure and research more but take no less than $40 if I was to get rid of it.
That's just me though, you may not get $5.

PS, sorry surf, I didn't see your link to the same page, I wasn't trying to thunder steal.

mattinad

Reaction score

Thanks Eric. I would never sell it, it is FAR too cool!

I went to an auction in Las Vegas with a buddy of mine yesterday an I won a lot that had some toys in it and also a couple old milk bottles. I probably overpaid but I think I'm hooked! The history and stories behind these bottles make them so much fun and interesting to collect. I guess this begins the era of "Dylan the Bottle Collector". Anyone got any advice for someone just starting out collecting old bottles?

Oh, BTW; should I keep the cap for this milk bottle or doesn't it matter? It is in fair shape and you can still read it.

Did you guys see the pics of the old Big Chief Pop Bottle from that link? How cool is that??? STILL FULL AND CAPPED TOO!

-Dylan

mattinad

Reaction score

David Fertig

Reaction score

Welcome to AB matt.

YES - keep the cap! They are worth anywhere from $0.25 up. There are a few rare ones that will go $10-40 or so, maybe more. But, most are $3 or less. As a milk collector, I like matching caps (although I don't search out caps)

Most square milks are low value. Most are in the $1-10 range. There are the few exceptions that will go $100 or so, but don't get your hopes up on this one.

Amber color usually helps milks. It's hard to get any round ambers under about $30-40. I'd say square ambers are min. $5.

As to the value of your's - I have no idea. Too far out of my area.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado