Is this pontiled?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

appliedlips

Reaction score
I'd agree, that this bottle dates to the 1900's and is European. A photography coach would be helpful, what Surfaceone was saying was your camera focus on the print in the background not the bottle. It is very obvious. Glass is hard to focus on because it is transparent. As your focusing put a finger on the bottle or area of bottle you want to focus on, get your focus, remove the finger without moving camera and take photo. Try if you don't believe me.

WonGan

Reaction score
I have also heard,in some instances,to fill your bottle with liquid.This works good when you are trying to read embossing better.This reminds me of the "push up" type wine bottle bases,although I`m inclined to think it held something else.Good tip Doug,and nicely stated.No worries Caroban,some people either don`t know tact,don`t realize joking doesn`t go over quite right in print,or just have to be a burr under the saddle.Just try to thresh the wheat from the chafe,er,chaff.[:D]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: WonGan

No worries Caroban,some people either don`t know tact,don`t realize joking doesn`t go over quite right in print,or just have to be a burr under the saddle.Just try to thresh the wheat from the chafe,er,chaff.[:D]
Now that's funny considering all this kid does is goof around and come up with silly questions and responses, but I guess simce you've been here such a short time you might not kow that...[8D][:D][:(][:)][&:][:mad:][:'(][:eek:][>:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][8|][X(][:-][&o][&:][:D][:)][8D]...[8D][:D][:(][:)][&:][:mad:][:'(][:eek:][>:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][8|][X(][:-][&o][&:][:D][:)][8D]...[8D][:D][:(][:)][&:][:mad:][:'(][:eek:][>:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][8|][X(][:-][&o][&:][:D][:)][8D]...[8D][:D][:(][:)][&:][:mad:][:'(][:eek:][>:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][:eek:][8|][X(][:-][&o][&:][:D][:)][8D]​

DIGS CHESCO

Reaction score
Mr. carobran,

Sometimes a bubble in the glass will burst resulting in a pontil like feature. Please pardon the background of my photo...but I'm afraid my wife has packed away all our holiday table cloths.

Tom

D0F3C0C309944655954E93E01B7190C5.jpg

Attachments

• D0F3C0C309944655954E93E01B7190C5.jpg
    D0F3C0C309944655954E93E01B7190C5.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 106

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Yep, side pontils are among the rarest of the empontiling techniques:)

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I remember one bottle on fleabay that had a pontil marked lip. There may be some logic there though if they were using thier blowpipes as punty rods?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown