WHERE ARE THE YOUNG PEOPLE?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Poison_Us

Reaction score
For those who just joined our club, you may have read this article by one of our members in the latest newsletter. It's fairly relevant to the hot discussions that are going on now about secrets, money and such. I have refrained from being engaged in them as I would rather hear everyone's points of view....I couldn't add anything that hasn't already been said.
But with that, I have decided to copy the words of John (no bible verse here) for all to consider....but it's something we have all faced in our bottle collecting history...even us of just collectors of almost 5 years (how time flies). I'm not posting this to take sides, or point fingers...everyone has a part in this hobby, digger, collector and dealer alike...and I respect you all....as if it wasnt for all parties, we wouldn't have most of our collection. And now, a few words from John (sorry in advance for any type-Os).

Where are the young people?

An often asked question, at bottle shows, is where are the young people?

I would like to offer my thoughts on that question. First, bottles in any category are expensive! Most collectors want the better bottles, so supply and demand forces up the price. Most young people, starting to raise families, paying a mortgage, etc., just can’t compete.

I know this statement will get a negative response but here goes. I believe that many of our present collectors and their greed is our biggest problem. Today we constantly look at price guides and/or ebay to see what a bottle is “worth†and that is the selling price we want regardless of what we paid to purchase the bottle.

Many have changed from being a collector to being a dealer. Many have lost their enthusiasm for sharing and promoting our hobby to using their knowledge and connections for a source of revenue generation.

When I first started collecting, many years ago, most of the old time collectors were more interested in promoting and encouraging new collectors then they were in the almighty dollar. If they got a deal on a bottle, they shared their good fortune, and you got a good deal.

Our present day hobby is fast becoming who has the most money, not in the true beauty and enjoyment of the bottle itself, nor is the history of the bottle. Many now hardly take time to enjoy their latest purchase before it’s on a shelf and they are off looking for another conquest.

My conclusion, for what it’s worth, if we truly want an answer to why young people are not participating, look in the mirror!

If you want to help change this, then maybe we need to get back to promoting our hobby and give the starting collectors a break. Watch their faces light up, and share their enthusiasm. Remember we had that “child like†attitude when we first started.

Fortunately, there are still a few collectors left who say, “I don’t have very much invested in that bottle, so I can give you a breakâ€. We need more of those types!

Which type are you?

epackage

Reaction score
Hi Stephen, some good observations there....Since I joined here I have sent bottles to Peejrey, Waskey, Wheelah and Carobran and I'm putting together a package now for lil digger because I want to encourage them to collect, I know Wheel(Connor) is hooked and is now digging all the time and he is hooked up with a legend around here so the future here looks bright....Jim

Plumbata

Reaction score
Nice post.

The answer to "where are all the young people?" is pretty simple; they're glued to the TV, internet, cell phones, and their precious video games. They're too caught-up with the hive-mind mentality to get out and do something independent and "weird". Alot of people nowadays are scared to go in the woods and get dirty, and parents shield their children from nature and dirt because they think they may get sick. The reason I almost never get sick is precisely because i tempered my immune system by getting dirty all the time! People nowadays think that if you cut a tree root the tree will die, or that they will burst into flames if they get too close to a fire. Environmental irrationality is supported by a lack of early, experiential education. It's a societal issue, not so much a problem with collectors. Society, and the people subject to it are changing and people are becoming more physically isolated from the world around them, no longer needing to engage with the reality beyond one's desk or computer in order to feel satisfied. Also, a proficiency in or love of history is not what western society demands of the youth; rather it's about focusing on maths and the sciences, or socially, a proficiency in vapid pop-culture and similar fluff.

slag pile digger

Reaction score
I'd like to share a story...My wife myself & our daughter were at a party & the host's mother took the children down to the lake swimming, when they got to the lake, the water was filled with what the mother said were "tadpoles" & the children wouldn't go in the water, that is when my 5 yr old girl walked in the water and scooped up the' tadpoles" & said "They are baby catfish, they wont hurt you!" & began swimming, followed by the other kids, some of which were much older. She doesn't come digging or exploring with me like she did when she was younger,but she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
When I was a young person, I could go exploring creeks, river banks, RR tracks, abandoned buildings and wooded lots and nobody would call the cops. I didn't have a gameboy or an iphone to keep me satisfied to stay indoors indefinitely, and I wasn't paranoid about getting dirty or otherwise uncomfortable. I also didn't get shuttled from one extra-curricular event to the next by a mother who had 911 on speed dial if I couldn't be tracked down by her network of affiliates in 3 minutes or less.. I was home in time for dinner, and the rest of the day was mine.. except for that pesky "school" nonsense..
...that's how I got into bottles.. not because someone sent me freebies to wet my whistle.. NOT that I discourage anyone from doing so, I am also guilty of my share of generosity, and I totally admit, it feels good to see the sparkle in the recipient's eyes, either in person or in writing.. but times themselves have changed, and all those places which were diggable in the 70's and 80's etc are disappearing, and so is the lifestyle associated with individual activities like bottle hunting.
There are exceptions to everything I just said, there are presently and will be some more youngins lucky enough to get into this hobby, but nobody should realistically imagine anything perpetual about digging old bottles.. eventually, there will be nowhere left to dig them.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Nice story SPD, sounds like you raised (are raising) a top-notch individual.

ORIGINAL: cyberdigger
but times themselves have changed, and all those places which were diggable in the 70's and 80's etc are disappearing, and so is the lifestyle associated with individual activities like bottle hunting.
There are exceptions to everything I just said, there are presently and will be some more youngins lucky enough to get into this hobby, but nobody should realistically imagine anything perpetual about digging old bottles.. eventually, there will be nowhere left to dig them.

Well put, the societal/lifestyle changes are the largest threat to the hobby I can see.

peejrey

Reaction score
I very good statement Plum, So here is how I'll sum myself up..

The answer to "where are all the young people?" is pretty simple; 1. they're glued to the TV, 2. internet, 3. cell phones, and their 4. precious video games. 5-6 They're too caught-up with the hive-mind mentality to get out and do something independent and "weird".

1.TV-Kinda
2.Internet-Kinda, but for good reasons..
3.Cell Phones-Well, I really don't have anyone to call...Yes I do text a friend of mine, but not a lot...
4.Video games-All my controllers are broke, and I don't spend a lot of money on games...(not a high priority)

5-6
I spend my time in the greenhouse working with plants, and hydroponics...
I run a small farm, and love decorating it with all kinds of antiques..

I have no one to dig with, so it's kinda hard, but will still try..

7. People nowadays think that if you cut a tree root the tree will die, or that they will burst into flames if they get too close to a fire. 8. Environmental irrationality is supported by a lack of early, experiential education.

1.That's why You don't cut em' down...[;)]

2.Mathematically yes, but I still try

<Also, a proficiency in or love of history is not what western society demands of the youth; rather it's about focusing on maths and the sciences, or socially, a proficiency in vapid pop-culture and similar fluff.

<Don't even go there with me...[:D]

peejrey

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

Hi Stephen, some good observations there....Since I joined here I have sent bottles to Peejrey, Waskey, Wheelah and Carobran and I'm putting together a package now for lil digger because I want to encourage them to collect, I know Wheel(Connor) is hooked and is now digging all the time and he is hooked up with a legend around here so the future here looks bright....Jim
Very well put.
A good man all around!

baltbottles

Reaction score
Like Charlie I had a similar childhood. I spent my time exploring and finding interesting things and just being a kid if it was a nice day I was outside. I didn't spend my time sitting in front of a TV or video game. And I'm not that old at 31. I still enjoy taking a walk through the woods or a park or was just exploring abandoned houses in the city yesterday. As a kid I loved getting dirty and still get a kick out of it. I guess I never grew up.

Take my younger brother for instance he is 22 and he grew up with a video game controller in his hand. and the TV going all the time. He didn't go outside and play much and to this day he still likes to spend his free time just playing video games and watching TV. I've taken him digging a couple times but in his own words its not for him. he doesn't like to get dirty and doesn't really like hard work.

But I guess thats why I collect bottles and he doesn't.

Chris

Plumbata

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: peejrey

I spend my time in the greenhouse working with plants, and hydroponics...
I run a small farm, and love decorating it with all kinds of antiques..

Seriously?? You're the man Preston, I'm impressed! If you don't mind, I'd like to hear more about your green-thumb activities. Is it a family-farm on-site type commercial operation, or do you grow to sell at farmers markets, or for home use? Either way, that's a valuable skill-set to be nurturing. Pretty much makes my day to know that at least a few modern youths still have their head screwed-on correctly. [:)]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown