Yesterdays finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

baltbottles

Reaction score
Here are the bottles I brought home from yesterdays dig in Philly. An iron pontiled Riddle that washed up about mint with very little staining. An open pontiled John Youngson's Extract of American Oil, and a few pontiled puffs. It was a fun dig we got int 4 privies two were pontiled age the other two were later and had been cleaned out.

Chris

C4A0329C99BE454E9CB064B9B5B919E2.jpg

Attachments

• C4A0329C99BE454E9CB064B9B5B919E2.jpg
    C4A0329C99BE454E9CB064B9B5B919E2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 105

baltbottles

Reaction score
Matt,

One of the two older pits we dug had nothing in the bottom but had a bunch of bottles at about the 4 foot level in some ash fill. all the bottles in that layer cleaned up really nice. We should have given up after we found those bottles the next ten feet consisted of exercise for no more bottles. lol

Chris

tigue710

Reaction score
yup, I know the feeling... but you gotta know whats in the bottom too! I haven't really been able to make any sense of when a layer in a dump or privy will produce sick or clean bottles, except for wet dumps seem to always be very clean... otherwise it seems its more to do with the soil around the privy? idk...

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Great find on that Riddle! Cleaned up amazing.

I've noticed dump rules seem to be different from privy rules. In my dump, bottles in dry, white ash are always very sick. Bottles in the soaking wet, rusty red layer clean up minty. And there's a red clay layer where bottles usually clean up nice.

In privies, it's a lot more hit and miss. It seems there's more than one type of ash, each with their own properties when it comes to glass sickness. I've pulled out minty fresh bottles and ultra sick bottles right next to each other in the same privy. It'd be interesting to do a chemical comparison of different glass compositions.

But generally, dry=bad and wet=good. In my experience, that is.

tigue710

Reaction score
generally yes, but then you have the super black poop layer that the bottles are always sick in, wet or dry... or sometimes not sick at all... the glass itself does make a big difference, but sometimes there's no rhyme or reason...

capsoda

Reaction score
Great finds Chris. Just how much oil do you get from one American or can you squeeze more from some than others???

capsoda

Reaction score
I like the American Oil. I wonder how much oil you get from an American and do you squeeze it out or render it???

cacarpetbagger

Reaction score
Looked like you guys had a pretty good dig. Love it when the sodas come out like that.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky