e bay second chance

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, i tried to bid on an item earlier tonight, it's the 1st time i have every tried to bid on something on e bay. we had the bid till about 20sec. before it was over. i think it was a snipe? when i went back on line tonight, i had an e mail for a second chance on the item and they listed the item #. i been afraid to open it. need advise. thanks, rhona ps. this item went for 202.50, i thought they went for more expensive things.

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hi Rhona...

As far as I know, as long as you were contacted through E-bay, than it is probably a legitimate contact. Go into your E-bay file and double check with the seller, but use the E-bay contact to "send seller a question" and ask him if it was he who sent you the second chance offer.

Also, make sure you check the seller's history to see if he/she is a good person to do business with.[8|]

Hope this helps,

Wayne

wvbottlehead

Reaction score
Sounds legit, if the seller has more than 1 if the same item or the winner wants out, the seller can send out 2nd chance offers to the other bidders. The offer can be good for 1 day up to 30 days (I think). If the bidding went that high he might figure he'd get more by the offer instead of listing another. I bought a bottle that way before. Won't hurt to look.

Frank

walkingstick

Reaction score
You should also check the email. If the email addresses you by name, it is legitimate, however, if the email addresses you as "E-bay member" and does not have your name in the email, it is definately not legit and may only be a ploy by someone to get your password.

Your name is on it ....
then it's legit
if not ...
spoof the lot

This is wisdom through experience (beats head against the keyboard)

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, thanks for the information and help. i did e mail the seller thru ebay. after reading your posts i read the 2nd chance email, it had my email named but not what i use on ebay? the 1 thing that bothers me is that up to about 30sec. before the sale ended the price was about $30 less. i had use ebay to put a max. bid in. they are asking for that max. bid and i thought it was subpose to be at the last highest bid? the original wining bid was 2.50 higher. i guess i find out, this is a learning experance. thanks for the help. rhona

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Rhona...

You are so very right...E-bay is a BIG learning experience! Just remember, if you're gonna bid on something, do your homework as far as looking up the seller's history and check out the value of the bottle. Only bid up to what you are willing to pay for it and avoid getting into a bidding war with someone.

This sseller may have had a friend try to "Bump" the bids to get you to go higher... obviously, somebody "sniped" it at the last second, which exposed your max bid to the seller. He may have had someone "snipe' it on purpose. There may also be several computers in one location using different E-bay seller/buyer names, so be wary.

I'm sure you can still get good buys on E-bay, but after having been burned twice myself (not for a whole lot of money) I find it more refreshing to go to a bottle show, haggle with the seller, hold and appreciate the glass... kinda get a feeling for it and then buy it...

Take care,

Wayne[&:]

tombstone

Reaction score
If you ebay and you aren't using a snipe you are at a distinct disadvantage. People use snipe because it is effective, it protects your privacy, and it saves you money.

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi everyone, thanks for all the input on the ebay bidding. i did email the seller thru ebay,after the 2nd chance offer but he never got back to me. it wasn't the snipe that bother me, i was concern that someone ran the price up. i tried to check completed autions, it is listed as selling at the higher price. i just had a feeling about this. thanks again, rhona

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp