olive green blackglass threadless ID?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diggerdirect

Reaction score
Here is another crude insulator I received in a box from a relative that I have not been able to 'match up' a positive ID on. Found in Northern New York quite a few moons ago, It is a Deep Dark Olive Green, pretty much black glass as it takes a strong light to see through. Wicked crude glass and it has the neatest 'lean' to it of any I've seen. Apparently it was way hot when removed from the mold? It is threadless & condition wise it has just some roughness along bottom edge of skirt (maybe how it was made) and a few scuffs here or there.
ins2.jpg

ins3.jpg

ins4.jpg

ins1.jpg

From the research I have done it almost to me seems Canadian? Any help appreciated!

Al

diggerdirect

Reaction score
Forgot to add there isn't any embossing to be found on it, there is one raised dot on a side of the skirt but not sure if that is significant or just part of the crudity.

Al

Dansalata

Reaction score
MAYBE A CD740.3..IF IT IS MY BOOK SAYS FOR BLACKGLASS 350-400 BUCKS...NOT SURE IF I GOT IT RIGHT BUT MAYBE SOMEBODY CAN CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG

BillinMo

Reaction score
That's a VERY nice find!! I think it's a CD 740.1 (Dan - the 740.3 is a little wider and doesn't have the extra "ring" below the wire groove. Some years ago these were all CD 740, then threadless CDs were reorganized and in some cases I think they got a little too fussy in distinction... but that's just my opinion.)

Not sure of the value since my book's at home. I'll report back later.

diggerdirect

Reaction score
Great relatives you got!

Yeah, This is the same guy who, abit over 40 years ago, condemned a 12 year old lass to a life of searching for old bottles & relics of our past by taking him on his first bottle dig, lol.
He's turned the 8 decade benchmark now, and with kids who's only interest is converting his lifelong passion to cash, I guess he figures to have a say in how & where his 'treasures' are dispersed. Can't say as I blame him.

Al

diggerdirect

Reaction score
Hi BillinMo, thanks for the information! After Danslata pointed me in the right direction I was able to narrow it down alittle. The 740.1 I seen on the net looked right except for a flat base? This piece has a ring around the outer edge but I suppose different base designs did occur in the same CD number?

These 'CD' numbers seem pretty hard to figure out to a non insulator guy! lol.

Thankyou for any information,

Al

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello all of you. My first reaction to the pictures, is that the mounting hole is not recognizable in the picture. Is there one? My first reaction is that it might be a solid glass formed because it was filled with glass to pre-heat the mold. Maybe this thought is centered on the fact that I am looking at some solid insulators to fit into my subject blog. If it was a solid glass mold heater it would also account for the tilted characteristic because of the internal heat in the mass of the creation. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello again; I just went back to review the pictures, and I am even more convinced I am right. If you would Al (diggerdirect} I would appreciate a drawing of the core details. If I am right I would at least appreciate the use of your pictures, and if you were selling it - the chance to add it to my collection.

It would also be interesting to know where you found it, because if it was a glass house dump spot, there could be others. As a used piece of glass these mold heaters had to be discarded because they could not be blended back into the melt of the glass metal - they would just sink and lay there without blending into the melt. RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp