Organizing a Bottle Log

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Aumie

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out a system that will let me log what bottles I have. Including keeping their worth semi up to date, as well as their year manufacturer, color, defects, what I paid and where I found/bought them.

I used a notebook at first, which...was okay but editing it was a pain, I then moved to using Google's spreadsheet which was easier to edit and is definitely a step up. However, when it comes to my unmarked bottles things get messy and confusing, - I've tried implementing a numeric system to the unlabeled ones by painting a small number on the bottom, but it's frustrating to keep up with and If I decide to try to research a certain bottle I'm digging through my entire collection trying to figure out where number x may be and if I ever decide to sell any that have no label, I'm going to have to renumber the one's I don't sell....

Maybe I'm just being too OCD about it all.... but if anyone's found a system that seems to work for them I'd love to hear it.

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
I use excel for the bottles I buy and sell. It's not too hard to keep track of tho cause there aren't that many.

Aumie

Reaction score
Google spread sheet is basically excel but google's version of it - which works, but not quite how I'd like to. I'm considering maybe just using a photo/scrapbook to keep a better log.

BillinMo

Reaction score
I think photos would be a good idea. Say you assign your bottle number 234. Keep a photo file on your computer and name it 234 (or 234-front, 234-side, 234-back, etc.). I know you can link an internal file to an Excel spreadsheet, but I don't know if that's possible with Google docs. Google docs will let you add a URL to a photo hosting site like Photobucket, though.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I use MS Access Database. I have about 8000 medicines in it. I can sort by any field and I can export the data in basically any format I need. Its simple to use and very fast. Photos are stored as hyperlinks.

whittled

Reaction score
I use MS Access Database.
I played with that but never found a use to make it useful enough to play with long enough to learn it. Perhaps if I had something to catalog I would but I don't.[:D]
Besides, I still like my paper vs virtual.
Bring back the library card files too!!!

Stardust

Reaction score
whittled Eric, you're so funny! [:D] HA [;)] and the cow jumped over the moon.....I use an old check books that I no longer use. Small enough to carry in your bag/pocket, so you can check on what you do have when your out looking for more for your collection.

TJSJHART

Reaction score
I'VE BEEN USING MICROSOFT WORKS SPREAD SHEET..JUST USING THE FORMAT THAT GONO'S USES

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado