pa milk bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

padigger12983

Reaction score
just wanted to know what is the rarest milk bottles in pa and what their values are

bottlediger

Reaction score
Thats a very hard question to answer and very doubtful any single person could really know for sure. There are THOUSANDS of PA milks, and Dozen of "one of a kinds" out there. By one of a kind I mean there is only one of that specific bottle known to collectors, it doesn't mean there inst one sitting in a barn or up in someones attic. I have one of these "one of a kind" milks from York but somewhere there has to be another. I was offered 1,500 for it but will hang on to it until another one turns up somewhere. Its pretty cool to have the only known example.

As for the most valuable PA milk, my best guess would be the pure Emerald green colored milk from Harrisburg, there is at lest one out there possibly 2 a value of at lest 5,000. Its hard to top an emerald colored milk and even though I do not collect milks I would price that one as much as the Emerald green pontiled bitters

Ryan

David Fertig

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottlediger

Thats a very hard question to answer and very doubtful any single person could really know for sure. There are THOUSANDS of PA milks, and Dozen of "one of a kinds" out there. By one of a kind I mean there is only one of that specific bottle known to collectors, it doesn't mean there inst one sitting in a barn or up in someones attic. I have one of these "one of a kind" milks from York but somewhere there has to be another. I was offered 1,500 for it but will hang on to it until another one turns up somewhere. Its pretty cool to have the only known example.

As for the most valuable PA milk, my best guess would be the pure Emerald green colored milk from Harrisburg, there is at lest one out there possibly 2 a value of at lest 5,000. Its hard to top an emerald colored milk and even though I do not collect milks I would price that one as much as the Emerald green pontiled bitters

Ryan

Hey Ryan - how about a pic of that milk?

As to the green East End Dairy - Harrisburg, PA there are probably at least 7 or 8 of these and maybe a couple other known ones. I couldn't find a pic of the front that I could save and post here though. It's certainly not "one-known" but it has a lot going for it - big bold embossing, state capital, color, quart size. There is a clear version of these that you almost can't give away, as in dollar box bottles.

There are plenty of one-known milks. I've got a couple Harrisburg ones and maybe some others. Values are all over the place, though depending on who collects that area. I believe there are a couple milks from York/Hanover area that have sold for over $2000, but I'd put my Hbg ones much less then that. I also owned the only milk from Campbelltown that I traded off. It was sold for $700 after that and then a few years later sold at auction for a little over $700.

Of course I could see some one-known milks from areas with no collectors not topping $100.

And with milks, the value could change quick. B.Bear from Hbg used to be a one or two known type of bottle. When they put the addition on the PA Farm Show, they dug up part of the old city dump. I now have probably 12 of these in pints and quarts. This happens sometimes.

So to sum it up, I'd say the green EED is the most valuable and sought after as it has a broader appeal, but there are lots of other more rare PA milks.

BBB4905F68784BFDB9042BC7269153AA.jpg

Attachments

• BBB4905F68784BFDB9042BC7269153AA.jpg
    BBB4905F68784BFDB9042BC7269153AA.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 121

padigger12983

Reaction score
well thanks for the info ill keep an eye out i guess the rarest one that ive seen so far is a scotland

David Fertig

Reaction score
The Scotland one is a good one. I believe there is more then one dairy from there? Stop over there at Collector's Dream on Rt. 30 and Tom might know.

Just keep in mind that these can vary from year to year. The Culbertson bottle used to be real hot at auction, then too many came around. Same with the Johns from Gettysburg. They used to be $600, but now bring half that. Not too many collectors willing to drop $500+ for a milk, especially if they aready have one.

jpoff430

Reaction score
I have any uncle that collects some milks from the York area and I asked him the same question. He said the Lauxmont Farms are somewhat rare. There was one on craigslist not to long ago and I think they were asking a few hundred. I have no idea if they are worth that or not. I dont know to much myself about local milks. My uncle also collects the little creamers from the old local dairys. Tiny bottles they would give you with creamer for your coffee. He has quite a collection of those and paid pretty good money for a few of them.

Dirty Dog

Reaction score
I find Lauxmont more often then most (have a 1/2 pint and a quart from this week). The Kline and Hinkle Dairy have gone for 200 - 300 both Wrightsville. Valley Acres in Hellam is another odd one, but I've found all 3. The rarest in this area is the Paules because of size and the fact it is not embossed.

jpoff430

Reaction score
Oh wow dirty dog I gotta hang with you. All I find where Im digging are Rutters, Turkey Hill, Greens and Pensupreme. My spots havent produced anything to old yet. Hopefully one of these days Ill dig some of the ones youve named. Nice Lauxmonts. What is the value of those in your opinion?

Dirty Dog

Reaction score
The quart Lauxmont can be sold on a quick turn around for $75 however, you can get more if you want to be patient. The half pint is usually worth more. The most common I find are the York Sanitary... Have you ever found any of those?

2964043_1_l.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi