Mason's Patent crude and blue

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

georgeoj

Reaction score
This one came in the mail today. I can not decide on the color. I would like to say that it is cornflower but the sky blue that is listed in the Red Book is probably closer to correct. The bluest Mason that I have in any event. There are lots of tiny bubbles, orange peel on the back and base and very sharp mold lines. The mold lines stick out from the jar more than any that I have seen previously. In one place the line is almost sharp enough to cut your finger. I have not been able to get a lid to go on the jar because the mold lines stick out even in the threads. George

73E9EB076D4F4B0A9D57A5658773ADBD.jpg

Attachments

• 73E9EB076D4F4B0A9D57A5658773ADBD.jpg
    73E9EB076D4F4B0A9D57A5658773ADBD.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 53

jskirk

Reaction score
I am liken that one that is what I collect very nice. Jay

RTR14

Reaction score
I have a few 1qt Mason's Patent Nov.30th 1858...Some have 30 without the "TH"..A couple have a five dot pattern on bottom,while others have the number 13..Do you know what these jars are worth?...Also what do the markings mean?

georgeoj

Reaction score
Hi Leslie,
Welcome to the forum.
A picture would help a great deal. The dot patterns may be a result of vents in the mold. Numbers or letters on the base of a fruit jar, when they are not a date or makers name/initials, are mold identification numbers. More information would be needed to make a determination of value for your jars.
You mention the mold number 13. The number thirteen, on the base of a fruit jar, is no more scarce or common than any other number. It is very unlikely that anyone canning fruits or vegetables ever looked at the numbers on the base. The foolish belief that 13 on the base of a jar is rare, because it was unlucky, is complete rubbish. This idea was created on ebay and is perpetuated by the uninformed. Having said that, you could get more for a jar with a 13 on the base because people are willing to pay more for it due to the false belief.
George

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown