What is it... worth trying

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

packinglass

Reaction score
Hi , I live out in the country, in my yard is a storm celler where there was a pile of bottles the oldest maybe from the '50s. Would it be worth digging in the cellar? Also in the yard is a round hole lined with red bricks atleast at the top. It is filled with these bricks aleast a foot down, thats as far as I looked. The hole is about 5yrd across. What would this be? Is it worth looking into? The house on the lot now was built in the 60's, but from the look of the cellar and that I imagine thats not the first house standing. The hole im speaking of is next to the seperated garage and probably 20yrd from the celler. Thanks for any help you can give me

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Five yards across?! I might've guessed cistern, but sounds more like a gold-fish pond or an old swimming pool at that size! [;)]

If it were a cistern, it has possibilities for old bottles. If you own the house, you should already have a title-search which would give you some history of the place. If not, visit with the county reference librarian who may be able to help you with local history of your place.

--------Harry Pristis

packinglass

Reaction score
RE: What is it... worth trying Correction

[&:]Yes 5yrds is a bit much wasn't thinking Id say 2-21/2 yrds .I was thinking a silo base perhaps also. There is another cistern ( I think in the yard) Its a concrete slab with another sliding piece of concrete. If it were a silo base I shouldnt beable to dig down to far though would I? If its a cistern How far down will I need to go, or what is a good indicator that it will be worth continuing to dig? Will I start seeing debris....

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hello again Liz, 21/2 yards isn't likely a silo. I was guessing, because some of the really old ones didn't have cement slabs, just packed earth. Anyway, have you tried to push a probe down into the soil? (Check the search menu up above under 'probes' for past discussions regarding probes). And Harry's suggestion was a good one, check your local history of the area. You might want to be careful around that cistern with the sliding cover, it may still be 'fresh' lol

oz-riley

Reaction score
We get a lot of brick lined wells here and they had a brick cap as well this is what your hole sounds like.
I have found many bottles in old wells, when the water ran out they would fill them with rubbish and then just cap them.

Thanks
Chris

BottleDig1

Reaction score
Hi, Liz
Can you take some pictures of those places and post them for us? They sound very interesting.

Have a nice day,

packinglass

Reaction score
Hi there! I finally got some pictures of the hole and cellar in my yard....what do ya think?

Wu60844.jpg

Attachments

• Wu60844.jpg
    Wu60844.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 108

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky