UNUSUAL BEER BOTTLE???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

fritzycaptain

Reaction score
MY GRANDDAD GAVE ME THIS BOTTLE YEARS AGE, HE TOLD ME IT WAS A BEER OR ALE BOTTLE AND HAD TO BE STORED ON ITS SIDE SO THE CORK WOULDN'T BLOW OFF. ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT?

madpaddla

Reaction score
Fritzycaptain:

Welcome to the forum. Do you have a pic of the bottle, more info like the base or lip looks like, seams, etc. The folks here are pretty good once they get a good description of the bottle. Best of luck.

Madpaddla

fritzycaptain

Reaction score
SORRY, PICTURE DIDN'T GO ON. I'LL TRY AGAIN

Tr49623.jpg

youngpup

Reaction score
Well...to me it looks like it was hand blown...not too sure...is htere any seams on the bottle? how tall'wide is it...maybe someone will be able to tell ya something bout it if they know the height...more info on the bottle'd be great
~~Jesse~~

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Debbie, Welcome to the forum.[:)]

Your bottle is called a torpedo or pin, depending on where you live' because of the shape. On the gulf coast we call them pins. It held Mineral water, beer, ale, ginger beer, gingerale or any number of other drinksdrinks. They generally date to the middle 1800s but could be a little earlier or later. Its hard to tell with out actually holding it.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Cap, a lot of folks refer to those as round bottoms, or Maugham's.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Kelly, I may have heard round bottoms but all the diggers I know call them torps.

Mayghams? Please explain.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Cap, Maugham got the patent on Carrara water ca. (1840-1850) and it took this kind of a bottle to hold the pressure of the carbonated water. People mistakenly call them Maugham's because he had the patent on the contents, not the bottle. They are also referred to as Hamiltons and Mr. Hamilton may in fact have the patent on this type bottle. I am not 100% sure on that fact. Kelley

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac