Price's Patent Candle Co.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bearswede

Reaction score
Anyone have a value for a light cobalt Price's? Why is it a medicinal? What did it contain? Why a candle company?

Thanks,

Ron

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Price's Patent Candle Co. was just that, a candle company. They made candles, parafins, dyes, holders etc.. I think I saw a light cobalt on ebay at about 90 and the dark cobalt go for over $100. The light I believe was later and some if not all were ABM, is yours? I had 2 of the dark I sold in the 80's for $35 ea. Wish I had them now.

They're still around.
Price's Patent Candle Co.
Clich the HISTORY tab

GuntherHess

Reaction score
They are British imports (that's probably common knowledge).
They must have been made over a huge span of time. The pontil ones can sell pretty high but there is a lot of variation in the values. I think sometimes people mistake them for American bottles.

bearswede

Reaction score
Price's Patent Candle Co. was just that, a candle company. They made candles, parafins, dyes, holders etc..

Eric...

Why, then, aren't they listed under household or some other category other than medicine? Any ideas?

walkingstick

Reaction score
There is a technique called candling, for the treatment of earache, in which candles were (are) actually inserted into the ear and lit. This supposedly draws out the bad stuff, including making the earwax easier to clean from inside the ears.

This is an old technique and could be put into the category of "quackery".

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I don't know what book you have. My Sellari from the 70's and the 12th ed of Kovels has them under household. Oh, I see, you'll have to take that up with Matt. Whatta you say Matt, they are in your Med book.

bearswede

Reaction score
Thanks, Wil...

That's a pretty interesting idea...

Ron

PS... do you have any Wolfies (besides your beautiful dog), mineral waters, bitters, inks, etc. that you'll be disposing of from your collection?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I got a double category in the 12th. I never did find them the most reliable resource but maybe Wil is right. The practice did exist.

Also
The candle was one of the earliest forms of artificial light. Simple to produce, portable, adaptable, in some cases edible;
so I suppose it could go into the FOOD cat as well.

This page has a lot more on Prices but I still didn't see a medicinal us.

bearswede

Reaction score
Eric...

This may be it:

By the end of the century the company was the largest maker of candles in the world with a reputation that extended beyond candles to soap, lubricating oils and glycerine.

Glycerine has medicinal uses:

Gray's Glycerine Tonic, by John F. Gray Glycerine, gentian, Taraxacum (dandelion), sherry wine, phosphoric acid "digestion aid, stimulates the appetitie"

Ron

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu