"Pitkin" = repro?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Jim,

It looks all wrong to me, as well. I've never held a real one in my hand, but have seen enough on page, and in pixels, to know that that is a recently made item.

559856847_o.jpg

Not a lick of base wear...

saratogadriver

Reaction score
It doesn't look like the typical mexican junk you see, but it certainly doesn't look right either. That was my take on it. I own one or two, but they have never really been my thing so I'm not as strong on them as other areas of ink collecting.

Jim G

kungfufighter

Reaction score
I'm thinking Pairpoint or something of that ilk. Well constructed but as suggested, not old IMHO.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Too perfect for me. If anything I would think the mouth would be pushed down closer to flush and I see what you mean about the swirl. Nothing really looks correct for late 18th or early 19th century to me. I suppose that's what the seller means by "style".
I'm sure the pros will chime in with much better info than my speculation.

baltbottles

Reaction score
I have seen a couple of these recently I'm starting to wonder if things like this are being made in small art glass studios. I think this is the beginning of a new wave of reproductions.

Chris

saratogadriver

Reaction score
It was due to the seeming quality that I posted. It's not just some abm copy junk, it looks hand made and well made, but not right. That always scares me with repros. I'm wondering if it was a product of the people who were making civil war reenactor supplies for a while, the name I forget? They made good quality, but somewhat off, products.

Jim G

ORIGINAL: baltbottles

I have seen a couple of these recently I'm starting to wonder if things like this are being made in small art glass studios. I think this is the beginning of a new wave of reproductions.

Chris

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
DogRiver is gone now and the bottle wouldn't fit the Civil War era. I don't think they made that style anyway.
I can't think of any other companies right now so could that be who you were thinking of?

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Dog River was indeed the people I was thinking of. I thought they had a couple of products out there which seemed to me older than CW period...

Jim G

Bixby Bill

Reaction score
That was commissioned by the Pitkin Glassworks Assoc. to be blown at Pairpoint for I think it was the 200 year anniversary of the Pitkins start up date. They blew these amber inks and a pitkin type flask in a teal color. They are extremely well made in the same half-post method the Pitkins used originally. they weren`t made to deceive, but eventually some people will wonder if they are old or not. If I remember right they had them made as a fund raiser for the group, which is dedicated to preserving the remains of the Pitkin Glassworks, which is in Manchester, CT, my hometown. I hope that sheds some light on the subject!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1