Muriatic Acid Bath Gone Bad

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

acls

Reaction score
Muriatic acid is bad news. If inhaled it can cause pneumonia. The fumes also can damge your eyes. I left a about a quart outside uncovered and it caused a section of my patio table to rust.

That being said it is a good, strong cleaner. Mason's use it to clean up small concrete spills. If you are going to dilute it make sure you add the acid to the water. Otherwise you may get have a small chemical explosion.

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Tom thats funny but not! I bet there aint no hair balls left in that drain!!!![sm=lol.gif] I use it full strength on some of the bottles I tumble to take out the oxide residue but always outdoors.... they also have a "new formula" muriatic out, that they added something too so it wont attack the nails,skin and eyes, it works good but it will still have that effervescence.....Taz

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Bottlman...

Hey Tom, I posted a 15 point list on how to use Muriatic acid bath "soup" back on 01-04-06 under the thread of Re: uh-oh, did I do something wrong?[8|]

Do a search for "muriatic acid, soup, southern Maine diver" and you'll pull up several threads on proper use of, disposal and cautions while using the muriatic acid bath.. I've used it for years with great results...[;)]

Just be careful and lets all use some common sense when soaking our bottles in Muriatic acid, soup or any caustic material for that matter...[;)]

Wayne[&:]

Yooper14

Reaction score
[:D]You're cracking me up, Man! Muratic Acid is wicked stuff. I about killed myself a while back when I tended for a brick mason. He told me never to breathe the stuff, so of course the first time I used it I had to just take a teeny little wiff to see what was so bad. I about sizzled my brain right there - it felt like fishing hooks being pulled through my nose....NASTY stuff! Mason use it to clean up mortar that splashes onto the brickwork, but even then you have to rinse it right away or it will eat away your brickwork! I've thought of using it on bottles, but so far none of my have stains I haven't been able to neutralize some other way.

BTW - I laughed and laughed when someone a few posts ahead of this said "I bet your drain doesn't have any more hairballs!" HA HA HA!!! How true. You might want to check and see if your drain still has a pipe, too....

HopelessMD

Reaction score
Just remember that muriatic (hydrochloric) acid is as far as one should go. Acids such as sulfuric or hydroflouric have no place in bottle cleaning -- they won't remove glass sickness but they may kill you or burn you until you wish you were dead. If hydrochloric doesn't remove glass sickness, no other mineral acid will. Either clean the bottle traditionally or have it tumbled.

A quick note. If inclined, look up perchloric acid, preferrably the wikipedia link. This is mentioned because perchloric acid (not really accessable to the general public) is designated a "superacid." A superacid is defined as an acid which is at leat one hundred times as acidic as sulfuric acid and reading about heated perchloric acid may help one understand the extradorinally corrosive effect of sulfuric acid. I really don't even know why sulfuric or hydroflouric acid are even mentioned on this board. (End of soapbox.)

Bottleman

Reaction score
HopelessMD, the only reason I use the acid is to remove heavy rust and calcium stains from dug bottles. I understand that the acid will not clean the sickness but it does a nice job on dried medicine and food stains too. If you can find something else that works that fast and is that inexpensive I would use it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18