Muriatic Acid Bath Gone Bad

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottleman

Reaction score
I personally like to use oxalic acid for cleaning rust and dried medicine out of bottle but that stuff won’t take heavy lime deposits off. Because I live around a lot of limestone, lots of the bottles I dig have that on them. I went to Lows and picked up a jug of Muriatic acid for only $5. I didn’t realize it was so powerful and I soaked a few bottles in it inside a plastic pretzel container with a lid that didn’t seal. An hour later the whole room smelled like acid and when I lifted the cap I could see acid steam rising out of it. Without thinking I took it and dumped it down the shower. BIG mistake! It stared fizzing around the brass drain and the whole bathroom filled up with acid fumes. I luckily survived but would someone please tell me the right dilution that will be strong enough to take lime deposits off?

Thanks, Tom

madpaddla

Reaction score
Tom:

I have been looking for that same "RECIPE". Thanks for posting. Before I got to the forum I used LimeAway. That had good results on alot of stuff, except some cloudiness, and forgot to wear gloves first time. Hands were peeling like a snake. Once again good post I'll keep checking to find the right mixture of Muriatic Acid.

Madpaddla

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Tom, Mix your muratic 1 part acid to 2 parts water. Use outside only and away from any metal or concrete. Keep covered with a tight lid when not in use. 5 gallon buckets are great for muratic.

It won't get out the cloudyness on all glass, some just have to be tumbled.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I have been using Muriatic with great success for many years. It is not a glass cleaner, however, but rather a rust and encrustation remover. I don't soak bottles in it, either, instead just dipping the glass in the acid and then rubbing the material off with rubber gloves. A water bath will quickly neutralise the acid. Also, NEVER use Muriatic, or any other acid for that matter, indoors. It is an outside only operation, being careful to not breathe the vapors, because doing so usually results in a bit of discomfort. LOL.

mikequarry

Reaction score
how long do you leave the bottles in the solution?will it hurt them?

bne74honda

Reaction score
Bottleman......WOW are you lucky...[:eek:]. Muriatic goes by another name - Hydrochloric. All the advise you've got so far is right on. NEVER inside. I've used it now for 3 years and I do soak in it as well as wash. Rubber gloves, safety glasses and mask for washing. NEVER add water to acid....water first.

I have soaked bottles for various amounts of time to find out what works and what doesn't. I figure if it doesn't soak off in 2 days then scrubbin or tumblin's the only way. BTW...only use acid in a container that seals so well that it can be held upside down without leaking. It will etch concrete, eat asphalt, permanently mar stainless steel (sinks) and burn yer hands quite nicely.

To dispose of an acid bath, add baking soda until the mixture no longer fizzes - this neutralizes the acid - then it can safely be poured down any drain or outside.

I always wash off rubber gloves and any tools that have been used in the bath with lots of cold clean water.

Rust and like stains can be removed using CLR or Goo Gone. Goo Gone takes off nearly everything that CLR cannot. I have even used reverse electrolysis to get tough rust off some porcelain and glass.

My 10 cents....

Brian

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Mike, I have forgotten about bottles I put in a 50/50 % solution of Muratic acid and water for a month and it won't hurt glass. It also won't cure sick glass (the irridescent sheen on bottles that have been in the ground a long time). Pottery, stoners,ceramic is another story. You must soak them diligently in baking soda and water and fresh water after the acid bath. Kelley

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis