One worth watching

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
This Daffy's is going a bit crazy. It's rare but by no means unique, and there are some much nicer examples known. It's the 'Doct Daffy' embossing that makes it a sought after type, but it's already gone higher than I'd rate it. Maybe because the non-collector seller has mis-described the color (it's not olive green as the seller says, it's a kind of pale teal or aqua-blue)? So I hope any bidder at that kind of price has had a really good look at the photos!

F3B2E5F7F0064BE48E615DB7626ABA29.jpg

Attachments

• F3B2E5F7F0064BE48E615DB7626ABA29.jpg
    F3B2E5F7F0064BE48E615DB7626ABA29.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 78

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
The seller ladie-hatfield, had better hope that if the reserve is met, the potential winning bidder doesn't have the last name McCoy............................................. or h e l l may break loose.[8D] I don't like private bidding because you can get a shrill of a lifetime without ever knowing it happened.

Nice bottle the color is mostly a deep dirty right now aqua blue. I think it would probably have done quite well without the reserve though.

tigue710

Reaction score
Im thinking she copy and pasted that description from somewhere... Ive seen it time and time again where a seller uses a description they read somewhere to sell something. I remember a guy trying to sell me a green drakes plantation bitters, which was amber, because he read the Kovils guide and the green one was the most expensive, hence his was also green... a lot of idiots out there... he actually didn't know his was amber and thought the description of green meant all of them! He was saying, I dont really see the green but thats what the book says"! My god....

That being said this bottle does have a lot of charm with the wax on the cork and everything still...

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
oddly the seller emailed me to tell me she was listing it on ebay.
I guess she saw one I had listed in my online medicine guide.
Seemed a little strange.

What would you date this one to?

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
She has been touting it around. Several collectors here were contacted by her too, by email and / or phone.

A comment about the colour not being olive green has been added. Absolutely huge reserve on it!

Difficult to date. I now think these A Daffy bottles were probably a generic Daffys, not linked to any one proprietor. I used to think they were possibly from Anthony Swinton, which would have dated them all to pre-1815, but some very cool evidence has recently turned up that he used bottles with completely different embossing. So this type could be anywhere in the date range the listing suggests.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
One retraction after the color update in the list. Private listing stinks, I can't tell which one. The reason was entered wrong amount. Is there another for seller changed description? I've never retracted a bid.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
That thing's reached pretty major $. Is it aqua, with content staining, as it appears? If so, what's it really worth?

Jim G

andy volkerts

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

One retraction after the color update in the list. Private listing stinks, I can't tell which one. The reason was entered wrong amount. Is there another for seller changed description? I've never retracted a bid.
Nope

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
7 Hrs to go. Will we see a final price of 10,000.00 U S dollars or greater. Any state side bidders? U.S monetary conversion now at $7,148.25 and 87.00 to ship. 7 hours to go. It is a nice bottle.I wonder if it is the most sought after British medicine.It has to be in the top three, yes Jerry? By the way if you are one of the bidders good luck to you.This is gonna be one helluva PayPal transfer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dr-Daffys-Elixir-British-Glass-Pontilled-Medicine-Bottle-Circa-1790-1850-/180857755981?pt=UK_Collectables_Bottle_Pots_ET&hash=item2a1bf6594d

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky