Mason jar and lid help please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jolosho

Reaction score
I tried to show how difficult it is to see the seam.

88170965847248FEA9BC3D247F8EA561.jpg

Attachments

• 88170965847248FEA9BC3D247F8EA561.jpg
    88170965847248FEA9BC3D247F8EA561.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 65

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Hi JoAnn,

This may help you with some references to jar colors if you haven't seen it before.

http://www.hoosierjar.com/colorguide.html

The intensity of blue on a jar greatly affects its value. Yes, there are many shades. By your photos, your HG 1858 appears to be a nice strong ball blue. Not uncommon to find in that color or series of jar but popular with collectors, and you got a nice lid to boot. Once you get into the more exotic blues, cornflower and deeper (check Gregs website to see the reference) the price dramatically goes up in value.

Your quart 1858 has some nice whittle to the glass, or also referred to as cold mold ripple. The more whittle to a jar, generally the more appeal it has to collectors. If you combine a great color with whittle, crudity, bubbles, etc... that's like warm apple pie. Yours appears to be a standard aqua jar, but a nice example.

Your nicely colored Ball mason or as some all collectors refer to as a Rall mason as the B looks like a R, is a good jar but they can be found. The color helps this jar alot and color is king [;)]

If you want to really know more about jars and their values, and think you might be serious about them, pick up a Redbook of Fruit Jars. You can generally find them on eBay at most anytime. The latest edition is RB 10. Hope that helps!

~Tim

jolosho

Reaction score
This is the last one. I have several more if someone wants to see them just ask. I hope I have taken them to your satisfaction. I understand what the differences are, it is just hard to determine which way turns out the best.

The first one is more blue than the others. When it is next to a Perfect Mason the Perfect Mason is a lighter blue. I got another opinion on that observation. Ground lip. The seam indents some, it feels wavy.

The green one I could not say which shade it is, just that it indents on the seam and the B is different. The bar doesn't go through the top loop and maybe the bottom loop is also different than most.

The whittled jar is very pretty and is that way all around. You cannot see the seam without great effort, it's almost like a sketch of a ghost. Ground lip. Very strong no indentation or waves, just straight up and down all around.

All believe I have lids to fit all of my jars and then some. So each should come with a lid.

3156B7B9E93E44EFB207B483F4FA47D0.jpg

Attachments

• 3156B7B9E93E44EFB207B483F4FA47D0.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 72

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jolosho

This is the last one. I have several more if someone wants to see them just ask. I hope I have taken them to your satisfaction. I understand what the differences are, it is just hard to determine which way turns out the best.

The first one is more blue than the others. When it is next to a Perfect Mason the Perfect Mason is a lighter blue. I got another opinion on that observation. Ground lip. The seam indents some, it feels wavy.

The green one I could not say which shade it is, just that it indents on the seam and the B is different. The bar doesn't go through the top loop and maybe the bottom loop is also different than most.

The whittled jar is very pretty and is that way all around. You cannot see the seam without great effort, it's almost like a sketch of a ghost. Ground lip. Very strong no indentation or waves, just straight up and down all around.

All believe I have lids to fit all of my jars and then some. So each should come with a lid.

Hi again, I notice some of your "imperfections" mostly show a bubble. A bubble it almost a given in old glass though. Those wisps of green ARE something collectors look for. Also the small area above the bubble at the thread area in this picture. I can't quite make it out but it doesn't belong there unless it's just another bubble or my screwy eyes and/or my not so great monitor are giving it that impression.

jolosho

Reaction score
I didn't know I should overlook the bubbles. I don't know what it is on the rim. Maybe a bubble that burst. Feeling that shape from the inside of the rim the edges are sharp, not smooth. To me, if this jar were made of pine, it looks just like someone hammered all the way around it. Other than what has been covered, (I didn't see the wisps of green, thanks for pointing them out) there is a very long line that runs through the year and nearly goes all the way around the jar. It shows in the photo.

The green jar imperfection below the letter N is more than a bubble. There is another mark like it next to the seam at the bottom of the jar. There is also a line that 'smiles' through the front of the jar, then drops sharply down and extends well past the seam. I reminds me of a strand of long hair that shouldn't have been there.

ajohn

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottlekid76

Hi JoAnn,

This may help you with some references to jar colors if you haven't seen it before.

http://www.hoosierjar.com/colorguide.html

The intensity of blue on a jar greatly affects its value. Yes, there are many shades. By your photos, your HG 1858 appears to be a nice strong ball blue. Not uncommon to find in that color or series of jar but popular with collectors, and you got a nice lid to boot. Once you get into the more exotic blues, cornflower and deeper (check Gregs website to see the reference) the price dramatically goes up in value.

Your quart 1858 has some nice whittle to the glass, or also referred to as cold mold ripple. The more whittle to a jar, generally the more appeal it has to collectors. If you combine a great color with whittle, crudity, bubbles, etc... that's like warm apple pie. Yours appears to be a standard aqua jar, but a nice example.

Your nicely colored Ball mason or as some all collectors refer to as a Rall mason as the B looks like a R, is a good jar but they can be found. The color helps this jar alot and color is king [;)]

If you want to really know more about jars and their values, and think you might be serious about them, pick up a Redbook of Fruit Jars. You can generally find them on eBay at most anytime. The latest edition is RB 10. Hope that helps!

~Tim

I'm gonna have to agree with the kid on the HG and QT 58's. $15.00-$25.00 on a good day.
To be sure about color place your jar next to a few and you will be able to pick up the differences.Once you have seen a cornflower blue jar you will never again NOT know what one looks like, it is that striking!
I do disagree with the BM jar. I do not think it is a RALL. My opinion is that it is a RB 238 (yellow green) about 20- 25

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora