Identification &value book suggestion?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lauraj

Reaction score
I have a large collection of pre 1900 bottles dug out from south Manhattan/Brooklyn area.
I am now getting ready to sell and would like some suggestions on the best book(s) to start pricing pieces.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Laura,

Welcome to the A-BN, and thanks for telling us of your collection.

The "Price" guide books are often not too realistic in their "figuring" and descriptions. I'm pretty unhep on pricing, but we have many members that are very well versed on market prices.

I hope you'll post some photos, so that we might have an idea as to the kinds of wares that you have.

bayard-wooten.jpg
Bayard Wootten.

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
hi Laura,

welcome to our little corner of the bottle world. yes, it's best if you can post some photos. start with any blue, green or brown bottles that are undamaged. you will have to reduce the size of the photos to below 100 kb. if you have a problem with re sizing your photos, send them either to surfaceone or to me and we'll post for you.

have a nice nice day,

jim

4CED4C01FE6F43319F63B926A930C7C1.jpg

Attachments

• 4CED4C01FE6F43319F63B926A930C7C1.jpg
    4CED4C01FE6F43319F63B926A930C7C1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 55

botlguy

Reaction score
I heartily agree with the others. Price Guides such as Kovel's and others that try to cover all catagories of bottles are basically worthless. They do not have a handle on what collectors use to determine value. "Color is King" is a term often heard in bottle collecting circles and that means that an example of a bottle in one / common color might be worth only a few dollars while one in a different / rare color will be worth thousands. The only "Price Guide" in the hobby that is worth the printing cost is "The Red Book" for Fruit Jars. The Bitters Bottle Supplement is pretty good but it's very difficult to stay current without periodic updates. Collecting interests change. I wouldn't waste my money on a Guide other than The Red Book.

I suggest you find an honest mentor in your area and rely on their help, experience and knowledge. Most bottle collectors, especially long term ones on this forum, are trustworthy.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Welcome, he's my opinion.
Kovels Bottle Guide is OK as a guide, it can tell you trash or treasure. If it says $1-2 it's probably not worth that. It would more likely be a flea table at 25¢ thing and hope for the best. If it says $100 it's definitely worth a second opinion.
Another problem you may run into is most of their stuff listed will be national brands, the corner druggist might not be. Your in a major city so that may not be as relevant for turn of the century.
Anything screw top and unembossed can pretty much recommended to the recycle bin.
Those are only a few, I could right a book but don't like typing much.[:D]

lauraj

Reaction score
Thank you to all the responses. I will start working on the photos and post in appropriate topics.
Two of my favorites are a pair of 12" Gulden's mustard bottles.
I am assuming that they are pretty early because there is no patent date and the top edges have no mold line (stops about an inch below lip). Neither have any chips or cracks.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

Hello Laura,

Welcome to the A-BN, and thanks for telling us of your collection.

The "Price" guide books are often not too realistic in their "figuring" and descriptions. I'm pretty unhep on pricing, but we have many members that are very well versed on market prices.

I hope you'll post some photos, so that we might have an idea as to the kinds of wares that you have.

bayard-wooten.jpg
Bayard Wootten.

Who is that Jane Hathaway? or larry from the 3 stooges[8D]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky