1868 Bissell's Tonic Bitters Peoria, IL

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bogan99

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

These members here are ones looking for bitters and would know more about it than I would..You could PM oir E-mail them for their input.[;)]

2MUCHSTUFF: Doyles in strange colors and crazy BITTERS

ANDY VOLKERTS: Cure bottles, especially western in location of bottle name or company

BITTERS R SWEET: Bitters. Barrels, Cabins,Figurals, hard to get squares, pictoral gins, figural whiskeys. anything crude. Have many to trade!

BOTTLECHASER62: Bitters

BRIAN S: Drake's Plantation Bitters(unusual colors and rare molds), Drake's go withs, and Tennessee Bitters

CHUCK1188: Bitters

CHUCKNORRIS: BIM sample bitters and whiskys I don't have for my collection - many duplicates for sale or trade

CORDILLERAN: Bitters

ILOVEJAKE24: Western made Jamaica Ginger's, Western Bitters

RRAACK: Barrel Bitters - Sachem's - Greeley's Bourbon (not amber)

WESTERNBITTERSNUT: Early Western bitters such as Lacour's, Cassin's. Wonser's, etc/

THANK YOU!!

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bogan99
I'd wondered about the color when I saw the listing. It definitely doesn't look dark amber to me, but not really yellow either; I'd go with more of a warm orange.

Should I clean the staining (how?), or leave it to somebody who knows what they're doing?

Thanks!
There are many good ways described in the Cleaning Forum, one good way is "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner with some cut copper wire or some clean sand. You'll find some good info in that section, Wheelah(Connor) has had good success with Muriatic Acid on stubborn stains...

epackage

Reaction score
More pic's out in natural light would really help to determine the color, it may be a good idea to put a true amber colored bottle next to it...For comparison...

DruggistBottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bogan99

Jim,

Let me also put you on the spot for a minute, since you said "really good bottle"... what would you give as a value for this one? Just curious if the seller in that auction realized a fair price, since I also deal quite a bit in other collectibles (e.g. stamps), and am quite used to Ebay auctions closing for 10% or less of "catalog value".

Thanks again!
Bill

That is a nice bottle to have! They have a crudity to the embossing that is appealing and an embossed year. I have been fortunate to have owned and sold two. I wish I had a third! Prices have varied on these over the years. You also always need the right two people bidding if going the auction route. I saw prices of some sold in 2005 go over $300. However, I did not record if it was this version or the “Great Western†embossed version. One is 2003 went for $203. My first one, which is the same embossing as yours, sold for $300 in 2007. However, I have noticed a drop in some prices over the last few years. Sodas I sell now are going for less, as are some medicines.

As others mentioned, take pictures with natural lighting to show the true color. Lighter colors tend to bring higher. For my second Bissell’s I was in a hurry to raise money for a major car repair, and did not have a sunny day to show off the bottle’s true color. It was a lighter shade of amber but the pictures really didn’t bring that out in my listing. I had dealers tell me it might bring $300. It went for a lot less.

But what is fair value? On a scarcer bottle like this one it is harder to say. You need the right two people at the right time. I would say your bottle should be in the $200 - $325 range. If your bottle is not lighter than the honey amber, that you reference, it may go for around the $223 that one sold for. If you have time you can try a fixed price auction as see if it sells. If it doesn’t sell then try a regular auction. I do imagine some of the forum stay away from direct sales here. But hey, you can always try it. For me I was OK with the price my second one went for. It was more than I had paid for it years before. And it helped me pay my car repair bill. Oh yes, I forgot to mention. My second one sold for $223….. I believe you already have a link to it :)

Plumbata

Reaction score
Nice bottle!

If it is of a lighter color I'd wager it's roughly a 250 dollar bottle. I collect Peoria bottles and don't have that variant, but do have the older "Great Western" one which I got for about 39 bucks. That was affordable, but fair market for this piece is out of my budget range. Good luck selling it!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1