S Schirmer Emmetsburg bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sparrow75

Reaction score
I ran across a blob top (I think) bottle yesterday that had "S Schirmer Emmetsburg" embossed on the front. It had some damage, so i didn't purchase it. I've tried to search this name with no luck. Either I am spelling it wrong, or for whatever reason it hasn't shown up in my searches. I didn't take a picture.

Anyways, anyone ever heard of this name? I'm thinking i am grossly misspelling it??
Thanks,

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Chris,

"Emmetsburg Democrat; Emmetsburg, Iowa, Wednesday, October 7, 1885

AUTUMN LEAVES
-- S. Schirmer, the pop manufacturer, is building an addition to his dwelling in the north part of town."
From.

"RARE, Early soda bottle from Emmetsburg, in northwest Iowa. This 6 3/4" bottle is embossed in a slugplate S. SCHIRMER / EMMETSBURG / IA. and on the back heal is embossed in small letters W. F. & S. MIL 20 for the William Franz & Son glass co of Milwaukee, Wis, a rarely seen glass company. Sebastian Schirmer came to Emmetsburg around 1884 from Grundy Center w he had previously run a soda works. It is believed that he also used bottles embossed EMMETSBUG BOTTLING WORKS. The ones with his name seem to be harder to find and they are both rare.." From Worth?point.

oldfashionedhayrideatpicnic.jpg

sparrow75

Reaction score
Interesting. I may go pick it up today. They wanted $2.50 for it. It had a few chips on the heel and else where.

Thanks for the info

sparrow75

Reaction score
Ok, just went an picked it up. Now I have pictures. The more i look at it, I think it's pre 1910??? I really now nothing about bottles, so any help/info appreciated. I saw this yesterday and thought it looked neat. There is a little blue stain inside the bottle, so that's why you can see blue in the pictures.

So, now that I have some photos, anyone know much about this?
Thanks again!

141BD7044CBF4763B7E2A7C2DA1469FF.jpg

Attachments

• 141BD7044CBF4763B7E2A7C2DA1469FF.jpg
    141BD7044CBF4763B7E2A7C2DA1469FF.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 85

surfaceone

Reaction score
There is a little blue stain inside the bottle, so that's why you can see blue in the pictures.

Hey Chris,

The blue is making me think this was repurposed at one point to hold bluing.

carobran

Reaction score
Could have been soda or water.It could date from the mid to late 1880s to the very early(pre 1905 or so) 1900s.Most hutchinsons were produced in the 1890s though.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Chris,

The date range on Hutchinson stoppered bottles is from 1879 to about 1915.

Have a look at The Hutch Book site for more history.

They generally contained fizzy drinks; water or soda primarily, but there is the very occasional one from a brewery house.

portner_28.jpg

"These are 7" hutchinson bottles. The one on the left is aqua and is embossed:
round slugplate: ROBERT PORTNER / BREWING CO. / TRADE / TIVOLI / MARK / ALEXANDRIA, VA.
The one on the right is sun colored amethyst, and is embossed:
round slugplate: ROBERT PORTNER / BREWING CO. / TRADE / TIVOLI / MARK / ALEXANDRIA, VA.
back: THIS BOTTLE / NOT TO BE SOLD
bottom: O D " From Chosi.

Does yours have maker information on the base or heel? Here is a great site for Historic Glass Bottle Identification.

700-00177848w.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18