Dug this today.... I have no clue..?????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bixel

Reaction score
I was out digging today again in the dump we have been working on. It is mostly teens and 20s, but has a healthy amount of older stuff mixed in as well as a number of local meds, some poisons and chemist bottles to keep us interested(if it wasnt for that stuff, this dump would be just the age to be annoying, and not really worth the time due to the large amount of commons).

I dug this almost near the surface, right around a pocket of broken older meds and a some other glass. I was surprised it was whole. It does have a couple cracks, and a chip, but overall, it will look good on my shelf. My issue is, I like to know info about the items I have on my shelf, and I have NO idea what it is.

I am sure somebody here on this forum will know. I have seen questions answered here that I never thought would be.

Has no makers mark on the bottom. As you can see, it has some sort of "strain" holes on the top portion. Whats it used for, and what is its correct name?? I would guess the age to be teens.

237D0621508D4DA6AC57AA41AAD18792.jpg

Attachments

• 237D0621508D4DA6AC57AA41AAD18792.jpg
    237D0621508D4DA6AC57AA41AAD18792.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 66

sloughduck

Reaction score
I believe this is a shaving cup,Soap on top,brush in the bottom with water ,so you could lather up.

Bixel

Reaction score
Hmmm, I think we might have a winner!

That was fast. I will see what others think, but I think you may be correct.

Bixel

Reaction score
When I first pulled it, I thought the same thing Joe[:D]. Problem is, it isnt a cup, it has a pour spout. Also, from what I know about loose tea leaves, I think the holes are a little big and would let the leaf pieces through.

Lets keep the wisdom and guesses coming.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi all, I just had my better half in here to see the pictures and she agreed with me - it is a shaving cup. She left and came back with one from her collection of ceramic oddities. So there you are. Hers didn't have a pouring lip but it has the brush drainage top pocket with holes. Looks like a good one. RED Matthews

surfaceone

Reaction score
I think we gotta give props to sloughduck / Donald!

scuttle.jpg

"My 1920s shaving-scuttle. That’s my brush sticking out of the spout (where it’s meant to be) and in the upper chamber, you can see the drainage-holes for the excess lathering-water to drain away back into the lower chamber

Invented in the mid 19th century, the shaving-scuttle was created in response to the general lack of running hot water in most homes of the period. Although it’s hardly a necessary shaving-accessory today, some people still buy and use these curiously-shaped shaving-aids today…I’m one of them. My shaving-scuttle cost me all of $15 at the local flea-market, and it’s 90 years old and in mint condition! Of course, you don’t have to buy antique or vintage shaving-scuttles, you can actually buy them brand-new from various online shaving-retailers!..." From.

traditional-shaving-scuttle-collection-3.jpg
From.

Bixel

Reaction score
Well that solves that!

It is a shaving scuttle.

I think it would have taken me a fair bit of random word guessing on Google to figure out what it was. Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac