Do Bottle Shows Depress You? Why?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Arob

Reaction score
Hi Guys its me Arob here, from Dumpdiggers
I was wondering if anyone on here ever gets depressed after visiting big bottle shows? and seeing the collectibles for sale and realizing just how much or how little your own collection is actually worth? or perhaps even just how little your fav bottles are worth?... In my case its always much less than I thought possible. I used to believe that bottles would age and accrue more value over time... You know they are not making any more of them, but now... I wonder

I wrote about the 2012 Toronto Bottle show on Dumpdiggers blog.
7108586679_b495f61bcf_n.jpg

I wrote a huge post, like ten pages and I realize now its because I find the whole thing slightly overwhelming. Here in Toronto the guys who make big bucks are the people who have day jobs digging holes in the ground for a living. Seriously. its the professional excavators and Toronto basement waterproofing contractors who are paid to dig holes all day that sell the most stuff at these shows - they have fistfulls of cash and its all profit cause whatever they find is just gravy on top of a good day job. No doubt they have big collections at home too.
IMG_4283.JPG

At the show there was a guy selling all his milk bottles for $1 each. And halfway through the day he marked the remainder down to .50 cents each. I looked and as soon as I came across one that I owned already I had to stop looking... I have about 250 ACL Ontario milks in storage - are they all worth 50 cents each?
IMG_4298.JPG

I guess the only thing more depressing would have been if there was nobody there to buy them...
6958335442_b322d29faf_n.jpg

This jam jar sold for $15 ... and its the nicest jam jar label I have ever seen... why is it not worth $100? or a $1000 ?

tigue710

Reaction score
I love bottle shows, its such a great place to see whats out there, admire rare and expensive pieces I dont or can not own and get the chance to actually see them in person. Theres always something for everyone when it comes to acquisitions also. Where else can you go to hang out and socialize with hundreds of other collectors? Bottles shows are awesome, for lack of a better word... I think of them almost as like returning home after a long trip away somewhere...

TJSJHART

Reaction score
THE ONLY THING THAT I GET DEPRESSED ABOUT AT SHOWS IS THAT SOME PEOPLE WANT WAY TO MUCH FOR BOTTLES, BUT THAT CAN BE FIXED BY GOING THE LAST DAY AND THEY DON'T WANT TO HAUL IT HOME AND LOWER THE PRICES.. OR MY RUNNIN OUT OF FUNDS..AND THERE IS THE COLLECTIONS OF OTHER COLLECTORS THAT I'M JUST GREEN WITH ENVY FOR. LIKE THIS ONE..

Attachments

• BF658F3B84F24CCFAA32AFB144C85EEF.jpg
    BF658F3B84F24CCFAA32AFB144C85EEF.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 80

botlguy

Reaction score
Man,,,,,,,, this is SAD ! ! My thoughts as I read this are spinning. I am very reluctant to say what I'm really thinking so I won't.

Collect what you like regardless of cost, price, value, etc. If you're in it for the money O.K. but then it's like being in the stock market and letting your feelings be dictated by money. If the stock market is bullish you're HAPPY, if it's bearish you're SAD. "The love of money is the root of all evil." For me that is no way to live life.

I have a bottle worth $5,000 + but I don't care, I don't want to sell it. I have one that is worth $1.52 but I don't care, I like it A LOT.

If you are living your life correctly THINGS have little or no influence on you're feelings. ATTITUDE is the most important. I have lot's more if you want to hear it, this is not the place to discuss it. P.M. me if you care to. I care!

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: OsiaBoyce

No, you seem to confuse 'collecting' w/ 'investing'.
Who does me (botlguy), or Arob? I readily admit to being confused most of the time these days but I'm curious if you are referring to me on this one, especially noticing your signature. In your opinion am I a "wise man" or a "fool" ? I am not trying to start a fight or arguement, I simply want to know your opinion. I'm good either way.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
personaquote]ORIGINAL: botlguy

No, you seem to confuse 'collecting' w/ 'investing'.
Who does me (botlguy), or Arob? I readily admit to being confused most of the time these days but I'm curious if you are referring to me on this one, especially noticing your signature. In your opinion am I a "wise man" or a "fool" ? I am not trying to start a fight or arguement, I simply want to know your opinion. I'm good either way.
[/quote]

I was answering the op.

As far as the 'wise man' thing goes.......do you make a post every time there is a new post wether you know something about it personally or not?

Ya see, having internet access does not make one a genius.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I used to tell people if they were just looking for investment , there were a lot better things than bottles, for instance art, coins, ..even the stock market (at least you get dividends).

But, having said that, if you really enjoy the hobby and love glass, it isnt a bad thing spending money on bottles that you would have spent on eating out, new cars, or other items which hold no value. Someday the bottles will probably still be worth at least what you paid for them. Think of it as an alternate method of savings rather than an investment.
The best advice I can give is buy quality over quantity and enjoy every hobby in moderation.

If you dig your own bottles it isnt any different, you are still paying, in free time (which to me has great value).

botlguy

Reaction score
As far as the 'wise man' thing goes.......do you make a post every time there is a new post wether you know something about it  personally or not?
Ya see, having internet access does not make one a genius.
WOW! Consider me put in my place. Thank you, I was feeling lost.[&:][:eek:]

BillinMo

Reaction score
I guess I have to ask the OP... why do you go to shows? Is it just to see how much things are selling for?

Sure, I enjoy going to shows and adding a new piece to my collection or seeing rarities that I might never get a chance to see again. And I may even be annoyed if I see outrageous prices, or values fall on something I paid a lot for a few years ago.

But really, I'm there to see my friends and perhaps make new ones. The stuff we collect is great, but in the end, it's just stuff. You can't put a price on camaraderie, and that's what makes shows worthwhile.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp