Do Bottle Shows Depress You? Why?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
I don't care if I don't buy a thing. I have fun at the 2 bottle shows I go to."Shupps Grove & Baltimore" It is about the people as much as it is about bottles.

Arob

Reaction score
I go every year because of the camaraderie at the show.
My own collection is junk - is that what you were thinking Botlguy? You're right. My stuff is all dug pieces and whatever i traded for... Toronto medicines mostly. I know that now because of the show. One good piece is worth more than six thousand hackers

Honestly I have stopped collecting bottles BECAUSE I go to the the Toronto Bottle Show and I see old men trying to liquidate their collections and there are simply not a whole lot of buyers out there ...

I myself will probably never BUY another bottle again - for the most part, bottles are a terrible investment. But not antiques are bad investments. I believe antique signs, brewerania, Coca cola, and crocks are a good purchases. Poisons will always be okay, but beers, milks, medicines and sodas = who cares.

On Sunday I watched what sold at the Toronto show. One dealer complained that he'd sold all his crates - he had to go to NoFrills and get newspapers and plastic bags to take his bottles home. The wooden crates will sell before the bottles do !!!! I see antique light fixtures, building ornaments, tableware even tin cans selling . Big crocks this stuff has purpose and value. Furniture is utilitarian. Here in Toronto there is a big market for small items that fit into condominiums - small tables and matching wooden chairs, posters, rugs and Bakelite phones. anyway Im depressed because I have boxes and boxes of dug bottles in storage... I think I'm going to bury them again.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

ORIGINAL: OsiaBoyce
As far as the 'wise man' thing goes.......do you make a post every time there is a new post wether you know something about it personally or not?
Ya see, having internet access does not make one a genius.
WOW! Consider me put in my place. Thank you, I was feeling lost.[&:][:eek:]

You are reading way to much into what I'm saying.........nothing is directed at you. Sorry if you feel it is a personal attack. I was speaking in vague generalities.

JustGlass

Reaction score
I love to attend bottle shows. I see alot of bottles that I wouldn't see anywhere else in a life time and meet alot of great people that like the same thing I do. The bottle prices are usually out of this world and at times that can be depressing but with all those bottles and sellers there is always a good deal to be made. I go to four or five shows a year and find that it's not enough for me.

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
I dont even have to go to shows to see bottles or collections better then mine. I have a friend who lives a half mile from me who has one of the best collections in town. Its all good. This isnt a competition. If you collect because of values your in the wrong hobby. There is always someone who has bigger and better. It is that way in life.

Collect what you like....period. One of the areas of bottles I collect are Baltimore Pharmacy/perscription bottles. You know how many people collect these......ONE....me. I have over 350 different ones. You think I will get rich? I do it because I like them. I have said it before...you cant take it with you. When we die we all have exactly the same.....zero! The only thing we leave this world with is the memories...Heck with the rest.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Do I get depressed and sad. NEVER!! You aren't confusing that with jealousy and envy, are you?
Jealousy and envy are totally useless emotions and I look inward and realize those feelings aren't beneficial. I feel very happy that I have a job and the ability to pay my rent, stay warm, eat, pay for the gas to get there in the first place etc.. I always manage to bring home a few cool to me items. If they cost $1.52, great!!! They usually cost a bit more but I stay within budget. That's what you got to do. I'm just fine with seeing all the great glass, at shows or right here.

ktbi

Reaction score
I definitely do not get depressed. Surprised sometimes, bored at others, but not depressed. I have a great old Nevada Blob Top Soda (Henry Mau - rare) that I paid around $100 over value - wasn't real sure of value at the time, but I don't regret it at all. I love it and think it's cool (60's term there!) that it's in my collection. If I was tightly focused on value, I would be kicking myself for paying so much. As it is now - Meh! (2010 term there!!) - just can't get worked up about value. That doesn't mean I'm not keenly aware of value, it's just not a driving force. I have a couple of $70 - $80 bottles that I paid $1 for. It balances in the end.

For me, I get kind of tired of seeing the same bottles over and over again. Always something new at every show, but many, many repeats. I need to come back East for a show or two to see something different. I went to the Antioch show last weekend and the highlight of the day was talking to one dealer for 30-45 minutes. That made my day, a new friend, and now another reason to look forward to the next show.

From what I read here, I am going to have to make it to the Baltimore show sometime soon. Either that or Shupps Grove. I would love to meet a group of fellow forum members. I'll buy lunch - you buy the beer.......Ron

TJSJHART

Reaction score
BEING THAT YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA THERE ARE MEMBERS THAT LIVE THERE..TRY LOOKIN THEM UP IN THE MAP THAT THE FORUM HAS MADE .

cyberdigger

Reaction score
making bottle friends is by far the best part of the hobby..!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94