Found this bottle and not sure about it Any Ideas?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lostkause17

Reaction score
Hey guys I found this after a high water flood in the river in pa. Not sure when or where its from but I talk to a guy in tennesse about it and he said its from civil war era but said it could be a fake. Anyone know anything about this and signs to tell if its a repro or the original?

E7362DABA5DD4E60A748D0340E4D9DC0.jpg

Attachments

• E7362DABA5DD4E60A748D0340E4D9DC0.jpg
    E7362DABA5DD4E60A748D0340E4D9DC0.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 94

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Welcome!
It looks original to me but better pictures after cleanup and a little more description would help.
Does it have any lettering in the oval? It looks like a Pittsburgh area flask from around 1870, a bit post war.
bottle2.jpg

#1twin

Reaction score
It doesn't look fake at all to me, but then again I have never been lucky enough to find one here. Some of the flask experts could better answer yours questions. Great find congrats.

Marvin

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Definitely not a fake, but really odd. It seems to be most similar to a GXII-1, but there are a lot of things off on both sides. That particular frame on the eagle side is seen only on the GXII-1, GXII-2, and GXII-23, but it is not either one of those flasks. The shield and ribbon on the eagle side are not right, and the bars in the shield on the clasped hands side aren't right. Very nice find. Possibly an unlisted variant as I cant find anything the same listed by McKearin. I'm far from knowledgeable on these historicals and really can only go from the book. Hopefully an expert on the subject will interject shortly.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Josh,

Welcome to the A-BN, and thanks for bringing this Union Clasped Hands / Eagle flask. It's a nice find, and just needs a little tender loving Chuckles Method to be looking good.

"More pictures, plese." said he in an encouraging manner. Details will become more apparent...

goodwin_eagle.jpg
From.

lostkause17

Reaction score
Yea I have been meaning to clean it out. The only thing I can find on the sides of the bottle is that it says A & Co other then that and the "union" there are no other marks on it. The guy I am working with had a buddy of his look at it and he was sayin that it wasnt worth nething and that it was a repro from the bicent. of 1976. Then he proceeded to offer me $40 for it so it confused me because if it was worth anything then why would he try to buy it ya know. The otherthing is that I have seen a couple of bottles that are similar to this one but they all have very straight necks and look almost perfect. Mine on the other hand has a curve to the neck. The lip at the top is by no means straight and there are various air bubbles in the glass. There are what looks like cast lines running up either side but they stop below the neck and there is no cast line on the actual neck. I left it at work so when I go back to work on tuesday I will get it and clean it up and send some pictures up on here. Like I said I found it after a record breaking highwater a little while back in Pa. Who knows how long it could have been burried under the ground.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
That's amazing it is in that good of shape for rollin on a river.[:D] Cool find. We have found nothing but broken ones in privys'.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: lostkause17

The guy I am working with had a buddy of his look at it and he was sayin that it wasnt worth nething and that it was a repro from the bicent. of 1976. Then he proceeded to offer me $40 for it so it confused me because if it was worth anything then why would he try to buy it ya know.
This guy would be told to keep his distance or he would have my boot deep in his ass...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado