Leg Bone

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deepwoods

Reaction score
I have seen references in a few places to a leg bone shaped poison bottle does anyone know if these actually exist- or is this as Im beginning to suspect, a bottle 'urban legend'?
J.D

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
J.D. This pic is from Cecil Munsey's "Illustrated Guide To Collecting Bottles" It states a PATENT was granted to Edward M. Cone of Newark New Jersey on Oct. 17 1893. So the idea was there, it just doesn't state whether or not it ever came to pass. Hope this helps, Kelley

Ca82861.jpg

deepwoods

Reaction score
Youre just too quick for me Norm!- But seriously, Ive read references to these in at least a couple of books, including one wherein it said, and I paraphrase,"poison bottles were made in odd shapes in order to be easily identified, yadda yadda ..and some shaped like leg bones" - This confusion may possibly have started based on patent drawings of bottles
which were never actually made.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Can you imagine finding a bottle that looked like one of those Gunsmoke posted? I'd think I died and gone to heaven[:D]

deepwoods

Reaction score
Thanks Kelley- I was reasonably sure I didnt hallucinate that - although I did go through the 60s, but thats another story. I have a feeling those bottles were never made- Ive seen alot of bottles and a fair no. of collections but Ive never seen one of those.

deepwoods

Reaction score
Now Kaw- Dont go thinking defeatist..Youre sounding like me on bad day. Im convinced that digging and finding is about 90% in the 'hands of the powers that be'- you can spend all day digging a spot filled with tantalizing fragments and find everthing broken including the marbles, or you can be like a friend of mine who pulled over to 'use the bushes' out in the country, spotted a blue gleam under some leaves, and pulled out a "Henions Cure for Malaria"- check that one in the book sometime.

ncpoisonman

Reaction score
Corrected. I signed up and mispelled poison. This will be my nick name from now one.

ncpoisonman

Reaction score
A "hollow stick" made of pottery and labeled as poision?

I guess if that were true it would be worth even more money than if it were a bottle huh?

Seriously its a bottle.

Bz76924.jpg

Attachments

• Bz76924.jpg
    Bz76924.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 272

ncpoisonman

Reaction score
Here is a bottom shot of the bottle. You can see it has smooth feet from previous wear as it has been standing previously before it was discarded.

Do you suppose this could have been a prototype sent to various drug stores for possible ordering?

Believe it or not this is a genuine dump find.

Any information on this bottle greatly appreciated.

Thanks
ncpoisionman

Ki18863.jpg

Attachments

• Ki18863.jpg
    Ki18863.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 269

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members