Privy Diggin Tripod?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
I'm looking at digging my first real privy this year and it will most likely be by myself. I was thinking that a tripod for lifting the buckets would be the way to go. Any thoughts on how to make one fairly cheap? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance. Swiz

Penn Digger

Reaction score
I too would like some info on a cheap tripod system, but think you must at least have an accomplice for a successful tripod system to work. Who will empty the buckets? These chopped up aluminum ladder systems must have a better way?

PD

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
We made our own bucking pulling system.

It is not a tripod it works better (for us) we don't dig deep pits to often but when we do,we use the "bar" it is a 12 foot pipe actually. There is a V welded in the middle. We have a large barn pulley that hooks on the V. We either use wooden horses or 2 barrels to put the pipe on over the pit. The man in the pit pulls the buckets up it is effort less. All of the deep pits we dug we used this. Cheep.easy,works.

So all you need is a 12 foot pipe we got our from a old galvanized fence. A (big) Barn pulley and good rope that fits the pulley. Don't use that thin black twine like I have seen some people use.

Or you can buy a tripod.

But you cant use it alone. You shouldn't do it alone anyway.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
All of you just had a Bill Engvall here's your sign moment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFmEku_uVKc&feature=related
It when you say something either stupid or the answer is very obvious.

Swiz:You said the following " I'm looking at digging my first real privy " Swiz!! what kind of privies were you diggin before NOW? [8|]Then you said " it will most likely be by myself. I was thinking that a tripod for lifting the buckets would be the way to go."Ya think? [:-] " A single team tripod bucket system is like an Albino hitch-hiking in a blizzard!![:D] like a midget playing with a yo yo!![:D] Your gonna get tired, real quick climbing in and out of the hole all day long to keep emptying the bucket!![:mad:]............

Penn: you almost escaped unfazed but then you added to the conversation " but think you must at least have an accomplice for a successful tripod system to work. Who the H!!!will empty the buckets Penn? " But Think you will need an accomplice ?[:mad:] YOU MUST HAVE AN ACCOMPLISH, not think!![:mad:] Dont confuse swiz!![:(] you dont think[8|] You KNOW[:mad:] a one person tripod system aint gonna work real GOOD, he'll be madder then a gay guy with lock jaw on Valentines day!![8D]

Rick: Everything you said was perfect, from one of this forums top privy diggers,told us exactly how to build our own system,( I was googleing the parts list as you spoke) told us how to set it up and everything,( I was copying and pasting your every word ) went through a lot of trouble to explain the proper way to use the bucket pulley system ( Had it all stored in my mind ) ............and then you went and said " Or you can buy a tripod "[8|]..... and then you added ....
" But you cant use it alone.[:(] And just in case swiz or Penn were still listening you said.............You shouldn't do it alone anyway. " [8|] Thanks Rick !! You guys are killin me !! this early morn

mr.fred

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Penn Digger

I too would like some info on a cheap tripod system, but think you must at least have an accomplice for a successful tripod system to work. Who will empty the buckets? These chopped up aluminum ladder systems must have a better way?

PD
And whats wrong with my tripod![8|]

swizzle

Reaction score
Well, thanx for making me feel like an idiot!! I probably should have re-worded it just a bit. I've poked around in a few privies but they were either too new or I didn't have time to dig it out on Wilderness Preserve property.

As far as the tripod system goes it would be a great help to me being that I have a bad shoulder and lifting anything above chest height is increasingly painful as the day wears on. I can jump in and out of that hole all day long and climb a mile of ladder if I had too. As far as a midget playing with a yo yo goes...How did you know I'm short!! [>:]

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Swiz this was not directed at you personally just the way it was worded by everyone in the post was humorous to me early this morning. Everyone has a Here's your sign moment!! I didn't know you were short....Don't play with yo yo's then....Just kiddin[;)] As far as removing a lot of dirt with a bad shoulder why not try something like this http://www.instructables.com/id/A-gas-powered-vacuum-cleaner-for-use-in-gold-prosp/ With a long 20 foot 4 inch diameter hose you could suck out the dirt and go up every half hour verses every minute. Sorry swiz maybe you could build one of gas powered vacs.

baltbottles

Reaction score
Here is my tripod I built this one and 4 more like it for other diggers its tall enough you can straddle a 6 foot fence with one of the legs for digging shard privies with out and problem. The legs break down into 3 sections that easily will fit in the trunk of most cars. Everything assembles and sets up in about 2 minutes there are no small parts to get lost. Strong enough to lift 400 pound stones out of a pit.

Also 3 people work best with a tripod setup when digging very deep privies. One to fill the buckets in the pit one to pull the buckets and one to guide the buckets up and keep them from hitting the sides of the pit and then to switch on an empty bucket and dump the full one.

The main thing about digging deep privies is safety. Even getting hit by a fist size clump of dirt in the bottom of a 20 foot pit in not pleasant. So don't forget to wear a hard hat. and make sure the guys up top are safety oriented.

Chris

7B2C1A449D864DF4982C73B49B1FEECD.jpg

Attachments

• 7B2C1A449D864DF4982C73B49B1FEECD.jpg
    7B2C1A449D864DF4982C73B49B1FEECD.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 100

swizzle

Reaction score
The privies in this area from what I've heard are 4-5ft on average with some going as much as 14ft. I've dug in a dump 10 feet down and I don't think I'd do that in a privy unless it was a brick or stoner with good sturdy walls. I have permission to look for a privy on a property with a home from 1919. Not sure if its worth it bottle wise but it might be worth it to gain some experience. I want to get a portfolio of the before, after and the rewards to show other people when I'm asking for permission to dig. Swiz

epackage

Reaction score
Swiz I have seen guys use Masons scaffolding frames with a 4X4 or 2" sch. 40 pipe across it and the pulley on that...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora