Porcelain insulator questions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sparrow75

Reaction score
I posted this picture on the ICON question board, but haven't got any responses, so I figured I'd try it here. Anyway, just started getting in to glass insulators. I came across these in an auction lot of glass insulators, and don't know anything about these. Anyone know what style these are and approx. age?

The one on the left has Pinco-G on it, the next has W underline in a circle, the next is not marked, and the last has something I can't read but appears to end in MAX or something.

Thanks for any help

DAF2557A5D0B4E598AB8E88683953A2A.jpg

Attachments

• DAF2557A5D0B4E598AB8E88683953A2A.jpg
    DAF2557A5D0B4E598AB8E88683953A2A.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 119

surfaceone

Reaction score
22788_lg.jpg

"Pinco: Porcelain Insulator Corp. (1921-1987; last two years marking used by Industrial Ceramics)" From.

Pinco1.gif

BillinMo

Reaction score
Sorry you didn't get a response to your posting. Normally if you have a question it's best to post to the Picture Poster and then follow up with an ICON message (or two... or more if there's an argument about Ebay going on. [;)] ).

I'm no porcelain expert, but I'll add a few thoughts (info from Jack Tod's book). When you say "what style these are" do you mean you are looking for U-numbers? Unlike glass, it's very difficult to figure out a U-number based on a photo alone. U-numbers tend to be "fussier" than CDs and I often find them difficult, plus porcelain photos don't show inner skirts and other features that can make a big difference. If you just mean general usage, they're all secondary power distribution styles, but they're small enough that I wouldn't be surprised to find them on communications lines, too.

On the left, the Pinco is one type I collect, made by The Porcelain Insulator Corp. in Lima, NY. They used the incuse PINCO mark up until around 1930. The G probably identifies a trimmer operator or other factory indication.

Second from left is a Westinghouse. All I can tell you is they used that logo from around 1921-1953.

Unmarked white - not much to go on. It's a pretty ordinary type that was in production for many years. Best I could do is say it's probably before the mid-1960s when sky glaze became standard.

The last one I think is probably marked KNOX (their O tended to have a pointy top, making it look like an A). They were in business a long time, 1927-1975.

sparrow75

Reaction score
That helps a lot, thanks. I haven't tried the ICON message yet, so need to do that sometime. I was looking at examples of various U numbers on the NIA site, and did notice that the U numbers were not as straight forward as the CD system. I think I'll stick with glass for now! Thanks again

Brains

Reaction score
the last one is probably a knox, as bill said their "O" sort of looks like an "A".
I guess they wanted to be original.

porcelain insulators can be fun to collect too, i collect early trolley and other early power insulators (porcelain ones, that is...) and they can be quite interesting... though trolley ones are quite difficult to find. Porcelain insulators generally aren't worth as much as their glass counterparts, but that's a good thing sometimes as interesting insulators can be had for relatively cheap. I like those big blue jeffrey dewitt ones, usually cheap, sorta old, and they're a nice colour too

sparrow75

Reaction score
Neat, I did get an email from someone on ICON, and they pretty much said the same stuff you all have told me here. I'm surprised some of these are as old as they are. I'll start keeping my eye out for cool looking porcelain. I find it difficult to know at this stage what is old (i.e. early to mid 1900's) vs. new. there appears to be a few good resources out there, I may have to invest in those. Thanks again.

I just came across some LRI's that I didn't know what they were at first. A buddy at a swap meet gave them to me since I like insulators. Kind of cool as well.

BillinMo

Reaction score
One of the cool things about insulators is that there are so many interesting things to look at and learn about. After many years of collecting glass, I finally became interested in porcelain (from a couple companies in New York) and started learning some of the history behind it. And best of all, I can go to a show and bring back a bunch of new insulators and only spend a few bucks!

Generally speaking, porcelain that isn't chocolate brown or sky glaze will be older. Variegated or mottled glazes tend to be prettier, anyway. White is a little tougher to date.

Older markings to look for include Fred M Locke or F M Locke (not just LOCKE; those are much newer), especially with patent dates and/or Victor, N.Y. Just about any of those are highly collectible. Others include Johns-Manville, Macomb, just about any special patent, just about any telegraph or railroad name.

Jack Tod's Porcelain Insulator Guide Book is a great reference and contains a wealth of info. If you don't want to spring for a new book, it's not too tough to find a used copy at a show for 5-10 bucks. There's also TONS of historical info on Elton Gish's site, http://www.r-infinity.com/index.htm

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown