UNFAIR!! Frozen here in Canada!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bne74honda

Reaction score
Geesh! All you folks out diggin' already...all I've been diggin' is OUT. In the past 4 days we've had over 8 inches of snow on top of the 3 we already had. The ground is like rock. Yesterday the temp was -11 F. The high today was 19 F. Right now it's snowin' agin! I know, I know...lots of time for cleaning last years' goodies....but heck..I wanna dig! I've already scouted enough new locations to last all summer and beyond.

Ah well, such is the life I chose in living in igloo land. It's great to see all the cool finds and others gettin' their nails dirty. Have fun folks and be careful!

Brian

sodabottle

Reaction score
Oh man i feel your pain i live in minnesota which is pretty close to igloo land if not part of igloo land
Spring can't arive any sooner I'v been dreaming of digging i mean literaly dreaming in my sleep about digging up all of these awesome bottles

madpaddla

Reaction score
Speaking of this:

Are there any techniques others have to combat the frozen tundra? ? I have found that covering the area last dug with a towel and some leaves helps fight the freezing of the ground.(either a trench then more cover, or a hole then the towel) I am still pulling up bottles here cause the ground isnt frozen past the top 2 feet. After every dig, and I try to go every 2 or 3 days, you give a GOOD TUG on the towel and the soil underneath isnt as hard. Frozen but not nearly as hard as the other stuff. AND on days that it is 10 degrees outside, its still 32 + in the trenches. (cause the bottles still have liquid in em)

Now piles of snow is different. Anyone have technique to assist digging year round in cold climates?
Mapaddla

dirtflicker

Reaction score
Buy a maul or a sludge hammer.....we have 4 inches of snow and 15 degree temps and that has not stopped me? Put your hardcore pants on and git to it man!!!!!!!!!

lexdigger

Reaction score
Hey Brian, here in Kentucky summer is actually our worst time to dig. The ground gets as hard as concrete and the temps are usually in the upper 90's! You have to have plenty of water on hand and be sure to take breaks or you'll overheat yourself. In the winter, even with snow on the ground, we keep right on digging. A good spud bar (or iron digger) will help to get a hole started. Once you get down below the freeze line the dirt is soft and it's nice and warm down in the hole... Chris Capley

Caretaker maine

Reaction score
Mapaddla, I use to use a sheet of plywood and cover the hole , then a little dirt on top of the plywood, it would keep the frost from going deep, but when you have a couple of weeks - 0 and snow, it's hard to keep ahead of it

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown