I don't get ebay any advice?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

clloyd2004@yahoo.com

Reaction score
I I have some really cool , old bottles, is it me or what? Similar bottles are selling on ebay for a good price but not mine, is it me? Any advice appreciated. Am I wrong in my descriptions? I did a lot of research , but maybe I need to do a lot more!!! Help.
link to one of my listed bottles at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280891374135?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1210

thank you

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Hi clloyd again, with just a few words of advise. First, condition is everything to a collector, and when you say mint, that usually implies just that---straight out of the store, if you will. Labeled, corked, boxed, EVERYTHING. If it was dug, it is far from mint. It might be damage free and squeeky clean but under very close inspection it likely has scratches that require a loop to see. So change the conition to dug. Also, some knowlege of true age is required so I would advise you to go to the book section and purchase a primer on bottle collecting. You could also go to the Historic Glass Bottle Identification & Information Website for more indepth info, but most of it will likely confuse and overwhelm you. (I know I was when I first found it and have been digging 47 years now!) There is a good section on machine made bottles near the bottom of the web page which would help you, as I think your soda may be machined. Either that or you have a crack around the lip of the top. Often the early machine made ones have a mold line just under the top that encircle the entire lip area. They are also inherently weak in this area and many have been dug only to have the decapitated heads or tops roll off as they are pulled out of the hole. Looks like a crack to me in the pic, so I would address that. I would also clean it up with a brush or old school wire coat hanger with a piece of paper towel. A clean bottle gets more attention than a cruddy looking one. Anyhoo, thats my advise for what it's worth. And hey, what the hay are we doing here at the computer when there are bottles needing rescuing from the bulldozers, floodwaters, heavy cows, and anything else that might keep them from my shelves? Sorry, gotta go dig something. Jack

nhpharm

Reaction score
On lower end stuff, I have had very good luck listing it with a fair Buy-It-Now. A lot of people don't want to wait 7 days watching an auction for a $5 or $10 or $15 bottle, but if they like it and see it and there is a Buy-It-Now on it, they just might grab it.

PASodas

Reaction score
You seem to use the term "pontil" rather loosely as none of the bottles (Morris, champagne, hock wines) I saw were pontiled (especially those hair tonics with screw tops). I am not familiar with any pontiled screw top bottles, the methods of manufacture were at least 30 years apart. The Larue soda is a crown top not a blob. Although Larue may have been in business in 1878 (blob era) your bottle is most likely post 1900. The "Ketcher" is actually "Fletcher", possibly the most common bottle that can be dug, we used to throw them back in the hole 30 yrs ago.

Because your buyers cannot see the items in person, your description has to be spot on. You do a nice job of including several pictures which always helps but a low feedback score (only due to lack of sales) will scare some buyers but should increase in time. Search ebay for similar bottles prior to listing, which you appear to have done, but keep in mind "your" bottle is not necessarily "their" bottle as many manufacturers were around for many years and production methods changed.

Good luck and keep digging!

epackage

Reaction score
The Larue is way off as to the date for sure, and your price is way too high, not sure why you think this is a good starting bid. It should be a $5.99 starting bid in my opinion and you should expect $10-15 tops, if it sells.

I recommend doing a check of the completed auctions for similar items when pricing your items.This later example in pristine condition only brought $7.99...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Old-Registered-W-R-LARUE-New-Hope-PA-7oz-Light-Green-Glass-Soda-Bottle-/310398473303?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484530d457

PASodas

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

The Larue is way off as to the date for sure, and your price is way too high, not sure why you think this is a good starting bid. It should be a $5.99 starting bid in my opinion and you should expect $10-15 tops, if it sells.

I recommend doing a check of the completed auctions for similar items when pricing your items.This later example in pristine condition only brought $7.99...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Old-Registered-W-R-LARUE-New-Hope-PA-7oz-Light-Green-Glass-Soda-Bottle-/310398473303?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484530d457

I agree with Jim however this appears to be the "rare" 8 oz. [;)]

PASodas

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

I agree with Jim, however this appears to be the "rare" 8 oz. [;)]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: PASodas

I agree with Jim, however this appears to be the "rare" 8 oz. [;)]
I did miss that...LOL[8D]

I'd still start it at $5.99, if it's worth $40 like it's starting price it will get there IMO...[;)]

epackage

Reaction score
It might also help to have the name on the bottle spelled correctly in your title, you need to pay attention to detail. It's NOT "W.H.L. Larue", it's "W.H. Larue", anyone searching just "W.H. Larue" might miss it.....DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS, take the extra few seconds to reread what you have written, and when you realize you made a mistake after you have listed get right back on Ebay and fix the mistakes...[;)]

I've had to go back many times and redo wording, title or pictures to get it right....We've all been there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora