How do you remove syphon from seltzer bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bluto1

Reaction score
Hello--I have recently acquired some old Czech seltzer/soda syphon bottles from the 1920's. Can anyone tell me how to remove the syphon top?

They have a metal valve on top that is seated over what appears to be a split collar. The collar is possibly made of lead. The syphon does not screw off.

There water in some of these bottles and I would like to empty and clean them. I am new to all of this--any help is greatly appreciated.

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi bluto1 and welcome to the Forum!

The split collar you mention should be threaded. If you hold that section and turn the section just above it it should twist off without much trouble.

Later - Sam

bluto1

Reaction score
Thanks Sam & Digger. I will give it a try.

--Matt

bluto1

Reaction score
[:)] Thanks guys, The syphons came out with no problem after some WD-40 and some persuasion from some channel-lock pliers.

Thanks for your help Sam & Digger Jeff!

Polisher Paul

Reaction score
Caution using channel lock plyers --- In order to NOT scar the soft metal, use caution and a piece of leather to protect the metal .

Another trick is to use the "new strap wrenches" that are made of a reinforced rubber . They can be found in the plumbing section at Home Depot.
They are GREAT to hold a glass bottle while trying to get a top off or a stopper out.

Just my 2 cents worth

Polisher Paul www.paulmnulton.com

capsoda

Reaction score
Geeeez, what a hothead. I don't even collect them and I found it. I guess some people want someone else to do all the work for them.

All you had to do was use the search feature.[&:]

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m_52226/mpage_1/key_remove%252Csyphon/anchor/tm.htm#52486

bearswede

Reaction score
some people

I'd say he's in a minority of ONE... Undeserving of another thought... We can be content with the myriad of responses in praise of this forum, justly rendered to my mind...

Ron

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Kinda impatient too. Waited a whole day and a half for a response before he blew his top![:eek:]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac