Windsor VT label bitters, suspicious label

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190689487628?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm always watching for VT bottles for Mom's collection. The bottle is pretty right for the label, but the label doesn't look right to me. It's too smooth around the edges, and it's been put onto a bottle without any proprietor information being filled in. It just looks like a block label that was added to a period bottle later.

Any of you bitters or other collectors out there know if this is a label available on the net?

Jim G

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
All the oxygenated bitters I have seen were rectangular.
It appears to be a lithographed label. Not sure when it found its way onto that bottle.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Jim ( saratogadriver ) I can see where Matt thinks it is fake because of the coloring and edging,however,have you seen this before. http://www.vtmedicines.com/bottle249.htm

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Yup, and I THINK that one's ok, but not 100% sure. Certainly that bottle type is consistent with the stuff on the label. However, it's another label that looks almost too good... MAYBE, just maybe, someone found some goodies in basement in southern VT. Maybe...

But I don't trust everything these folks put up as dead on, not with this http://www.vtmedicines.com/bottle228.htm also on there.

I can tell you there are literally hundreds of those Rolfe pharmacy labels floating around, and none of them to be trusted. I've seen them on everything from pontils to TOC bottles, and it's my considered opinion that someone cleaned out the basement of the former Rolfe's pharmacy about 10 years ago, and has been either selling or pasting labels ever since.

Jim G

ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

Jim ( saratogadriver ) I can see where Matt thinks it is fake because of the coloring and edging,however,have you seen this before. http://www.vtmedicines.com/bottle249.htm

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Matt thinks it is fake

if you mean me, I didnt say anything was fake.
I do consider all labeled medicines suspect until proven otherwise.
THat may not always be possible from an ebay photo.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

Matt thinks it is fake

if you mean me, I didnt say anything was fake.
I do consider all labeled medicines suspect until proven otherwise.
THat may not always be possible from an ebay photo.
lithographed label
Yeah I meant found its way onto the bottle portion as being not on the up and up Matt, not the makeup of the label although it looks too Perfect.
lithographed label

nhpharm

Reaction score
Jim,

That is my listing...came in a collection of extremely nice labeled medicines, including a labeled Poland's White Pine Compound, a labeled Kimball's Toothache Drops, and some others (you can see some of them in my other listings, but I'm keeping the New Hampshire stuff). I am very confident in it...the label is right (you can see the impression of the letters in the paper), it has full contents (not just colored water-the contents have partly settled out), it has a few chips to the label around the edges, and so forth. The rest of the bottles in the collection are very good...someone put together a very good collection and someone then sold a good part of it in a Texas antique store, where I found it. A lot of the that was being sold had original boxes and so forth too...

Anyone wants additional photos, I'd be happy to provide them...I understand the concerns with labeled bottles.

Brandon DeWolfe

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Thanks for coming on here Branden the label on your bottle looks similar to the other one I posted. I have a Dyott labeled bottle that is hard to prove it is real on the internet but see it in person and it is a whole different ball game.It does to the eye look to perfect but with that said the computer image can vary greatly from the live one.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Not just with labels.. there are all kinds of potential hidden issues when buying bottles online.. either deliberate or accidental. I'm glad this forum exists in cases like this, and glad to hear the story on this one, which convinces me of its authenticity..!

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
In my mind if you added photos of the other labeled bottles found together and some of the story of where they originated that would help the auction. Provenance can be an important factor in auctions such as this.
Just a thought.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky