How do cracks effect value?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi all, I've seen some adds on the web as well as conversations here on the forum regarding 'repaired' bottles. I believe the general consensus is that cracks can't be repaired. What does the presence of a crack do to the value of a bottle? Here's one in a great green ale I have, that is otherwise prestine - bargain bin material?[&o]

Pm35140.jpg

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hi Norm, I've been told "Chips are bad, Cracks are worse!") I know they definately do effect the value and I don't believe there is anything you can do about a crack. (At least at this time) Contact Forum member baltbottles. He repairs bottles and does an excellent job. Just did one for me, but mine was a chip not a crack. I bet he could give you informed advice. Kelley

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Thanks, This is an otherwise great old heavy ale, but not worth the effort I'm sure to fix. I picked this up in a very poorly lit indoor flea-market for $3.00, and didn't check it until it was too late. Pronounced 3-piece mold work and a nearly 4'' long serpentine bubble was what got my attention; guess i better open my eyes next time[8D]

Chaser43

Reaction score
Could that cracked top be melted back into shaped.
Seems logical that with enough heat that crack would dissapear.
If done properly that is. Is that possible. I,m sure someone somewhere has tryed this.
Any info on heat repair of cracks in bottles?

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Ever here 'Step on a Crack, break your mother's back'[:D] If you use the 'search' menu above under 'repairs', there was some good conversations about this. I think it was Oz from Australia who started a link about repairs. I was just curious if the crack in my bottle was 'terminal', alas I believe it is! [:'(]

IRISH

Reaction score
I agree with the "Chips are bad, Cracks are worse" thing, chips are mostly not hard to fill and repair cracks are very very hard to do properly, most of them there is nothing you can do anyhow but not all cracks are equal [;)]. If you have a good bottle with a bad crack show it to a good repairer and they MAY be able to fix it.

IRISH

Reaction score
The "wide" cracks that you can just feel wih a fingernail are the one's that give the best chance of filling. If you put Acetone or even Water on the bottle and it gets into the crack you have a chance to get something in there to hide it.
I use "crystal clear" glass glue cut with Acetone as a thinner, the percentage depends on how wide the crack is, the tighter the crack the more Acetone to try to get the glue into it.

You are best to use a UV cureing glue as that way you can leave it in a dark spot to evaporate the Acetone and then put a bit more of your solution on until it's filled the crack, when it's full you put it in the sun and all going well the crack is gone [:D] (out of sight anyhow).

deepwoods

Reaction score
As a bit of an aside- Ive had cracks 'magically appear' so many times in freshly dug bottles that recently Ive taken to laying the bottle in the freshly turned over soil out of sun for 10 mins or so before thoroughly handling it, with much better results.
J.D

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis