Gallon scroll flask

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

KentOhio

Reaction score
Hey, did anyone see the gallon scroll flask that ended yesterday on ebay? I was surprised by the lack of interest in it and thought it would have sold for more. How many of these exist? Does anyone have a record of others selling? http://www.ebay.com/itm/120933075404?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I did, I couldn't afford it but there were some things I didn't like. One was the dimensions, I could see it as a half gallon but it's hard to really visualize. Another thing is I just don't know enough about them. Were they made in a 4 part mold? I don't know. That seam going up through the middle made me wonder as did the base. This is where we need Jeff, Mike or someone with knowledge.
The bigness isn't always better so they tend to bring less.

epackage

Reaction score
NO WAY that's a gallon, half gallon possibly but with those dimensions it's impossible for it to be a gallon. That being said it's a cool bottle...

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Well I had the chance to check "the book". I either missed something, it's unknown as of '78 or it's a fake. I didn't see anything in the half to one gallon area than was close. That has no pearls, stars, and the shoulder and lip bugs me. The seam going up the middle bothers me too.
I looked at the gallon GIX-30 and others but that didn't quite look right either. It could be the drawings were wrong.
No matter, I couldn't buy it.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well guys, It looks like someone paid a lot of money they will not get back. In the first place, I never seen one made in a four part mold. Next the neck doesn't look right and the glass doesn't look right Even the bottom doesn't show enough evidence of being old. Bummer. in my book. RED M.

KentOhio

Reaction score
Jeff, how do you know it's not old? How old is it and who made it? Are none of the gallons old, even the ones in the McKearin book?

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I saw this post in the morning, before anyone responded.. I thought it looked like a repro of some sort, was not at all convinced that it's a real 19th century article.. I really don't know enough yet to opine with confidence, but I'm glad to see more seasoned experts confirming my suspicions about it.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It just... you know. I suspect when the buyer gets it and it will be a "what the "F' did I do" moment. Pictures were good enough but in hand may be a better. To many red flags for me even if I had the money.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi