Gallon scroll flask

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tigue710

Reaction score
only time I have ever seen another one was at a show on a table for sale, and I thought it was a later fantasy bottle... My guess is that they would have been made for a celebration of some type, special ordered by someone quite important with money to burn... and I would think a little later them the first production of scroll flasks...

KentOhio

Reaction score
I'm not sure what it was for. I'm thinking some kind of tavern bottle. Trying to pick it up and pour it is pretty hard, and I'm sure even harder when it's full. You have to wrap a couple fingers around the neck and support the bottom with your other hand. That's probably why they didn't make or sell many. McKearin thought it was maybe made in Pittsburgh by Robinson or by Bakewell because they were two early makers of scroll flasks who also had the polishing equipment. Their other scroll flasks were from the early 1830s, so if it's by them, probably 1830s also.

capsoda

Reaction score
I found a side panel and bottom to one of those in a dump. It was with a lot of other busted up bar stuff and the window out of the bar. I just ask the wife if she remembered the name of the bar but neither one of us do. I figured the bottom was polished so it wouldn't scrape against the glass shelves.

Very cool.

KentOhio

Reaction score
That's really interesting. Where was the dump and how old was the other stuff? Any chance you kept the pieces?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora