Sad Day

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

norflo2norcal

Reaction score
Well I spoke with my nurse practitioner about getting a bone density done. She said there was no point because it wouldn't change what we're doing now by adding supplements. And I have been going for adjustments to treat my dislocating rib, and have been doing better. The chiro says it was most likely caused by the curvature of my spine resulting in poor alignment, and unfortunately, it may never be 100% again. The x-rays said it all. I saw them myself, and it wasn't pretty. I've started an exercise regimen though, and I expect that more than anything will help me in the long run.

In my early twenties, I was on a medication that I was warned leeches calcium from the bones, and I was supposed to take calcium supplements every day, but I didn't......so I may have done this to myself. But both of my parents have spinal issues, so there may be a genetic component as well. I don't intend to let it get the best of me though. I'll still be out digging bottles as long as I am able!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Norflo.
Good luck with the health issues. I suspect that once your rib is healed, it will be decades before the osteo slows you down (and longer if you stay in great shape).

I'd stick with your hot spot. With debris like that there's bound to be whole stuff nearby. If the water is safe (that is no alligators) maybe try to look and feel around in the water with a mask and snorkel. Better yet, take your dive gear there if you are certified.

norflo2norcal

Reaction score
Thanks, Bob. I will definitely continue to dig this spot. I have thought how great it would be to dive in the deeper water and see what's on the bottom, but I am not a diver, and also the water is very dark. Lots of tanins so VERY low visibility. For now, I think digging the shore is my best best. If the water level is not too high (and it probably WILL be thanks to Debby having just passed through), I'll check the spot again this weekend......

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Hey blob, diving that area would NORMALLY be great advice, but in this case the river's edge is probably less than knee deep, and if it's any deeper it is usually considered blackwater (not the human waste type). The quantity of tannic acid from decaying plants makes the water very dark (like... coffee dark). Unfortunately, it also makes the alligators very dark as well, so they blend in well.

Bree, how'd y'all fare in the flooding and power outages? A lot of my friends still live on the island and were talking about these issues.

norflo2norcal

Reaction score
No problems at my house, nor at my parents' house. The dirt road was flooded that night, but their stretch of river bank is pretty high and steep, so there's never been any issues with the river reaching the house. One of my sisters lives on Black Creek though, and her yard flooded. Luckily, their house is on stilts. :) My other sister lives right on the upper Lake Asbury, and while the lake was able to be drained when it got too high, they got standing water in their yard that got into her son's room (the only room downstairs). No power outages or wind though. We did very well. I'm just tired of high water levels on the river!!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Hang in there! Sounds like you're intelligent and self aware enough to master your issues,...Glad you are out finding old glass and canoeing and kyaking too...I used to hunt our riverbanks for glass by canoe...not so much anymore, but still have the canoe, in case I get a chance to do so again...Good luck with the spot...It looks really promising.

#1twin

Reaction score
Gabe, I was told I had degenerative disc disease when I was in my twenties. I am now 4 months away from turning 60. I also found out I now have a cist in my spine below my neck. Have I stopped digging? Absolutely not!! These days I can hardly get out of the hole sometimes and suffer for days after, but I am living my life to the fullest enjoying what time I have here. After all....bottle hunting in an obsession. We can't stop.[:D] Don't give up, and see a real doctor. Chiro's are quacks just like others have said.
Live your dreams dude!! Best of luck and happy digging. Marvin

Stardust

Reaction score
I'd would get another opinion...but ribs do take a long time to heal. You may need vitamin d levels done along with a few other tests to reveal the whole picture from a real doctor. I will say a prayer for you and send you healing vibes to get well. I know it's not easy being told you can't do something, but I look for the gifts in each and every day.
take care ~
star ~

SkinsFan36

Reaction score
Same her with the degenerative disc disease. Runs in my family. Just got diagnosed about a year ago with it and 2 bulging discs. They say the exercises do the most good, although I am too lazy to do them lol. Mine comes and goes. Luckily I am no longer lifting 50 lb bags of fertilizer 40 times a day.

norflo2norcal

Reaction score
My nurse practitioner that I see for my GYN exams mentioned doing bloodwork to check my calcium and vit D levels, but since I just started the supplements, I think she wants to wait a few months. Hopefully I'll have the willpower to keep up the exercise. I actually did just take in a foster dog yesterday, so he needs daily walks, which is a good motivator! Thanks, Star, for the good thoughts!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis